Bitter yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would make a solution of 1.020 am I missing something?

Nope, I think I've missed something :wha:
I thought 100g of DME in 1ltr gave a 1.010 solution ie, 1 in 10...but I can't find the post now :roll:
If it did that would mean a 200g in 2ltr gave a 1.010 also.

With those qty's my refractometer got 10 brix which iirc you muliply by 4 so 1.040

Starters are a way of making sure that you are pitching lots of happy hungry yeasts into your wort. They are made by adding yeast to sterilized wort. Second rule; use wort of approximately 1.040 sg for starters. This works out to be 1g of dry malt extract (DME) per 10 ml of water

I was confused because of a post earlier in the topic when J_P said if your wort is above 1.020 dilute it, whereas most of the info I've got says a starter should be in the range of 1.030 - 1.040 :wha:

Vossy1 said:
Yep just found it....100g of DME in 1ltr gives a 1.040 starter

Ah cocks! I've just checked beersmith and you're right, I may have been wrong but the yeast seem to like it so I'm not too worried

J_P said:
Vossy1 said:
Yep just found it....100g of DME in 1ltr gives a 1.040 starter

Ah cocks! I've just checked beersmith and you're right, I may have been wrong but the yeast seem to like it so I'm not too worried

Aint the forgiveness of brewing ace!

Good on ya JP :D

Well this bitter yeast is a bit of a slacker. Pitched last night at 8:30 ish and tonight, 24 hours later, a bubble a minute :roll:
Unlike the Irish Ale yeast, which has a buble every 10 seconds and a nice fluffy head :cool:

EDIT...it's finally woken up...a bubble every 16 seconds now :cool:

This morning the Irish Ale yeast has stopped and the yeast is clumping on swirling, so I guess it's done.

The Burton yeast is going great guns now, a bubble every 8 seconds ish, but there is virtually no yeast head.
Is this normal? There was a very thin white bubble film this am but on swirling it's gone :hmm:

Voss thats pretty much what I had, no big yeast head - I was a bit surprised, was expecting a mini fermentation with a nice krausen. Upon splitting there was loads of yeast at the bottom :cool:

Cheers Wez ;)
When I go to shake the dj masses of C02 comes out of solution, so I know the yeast is doing it's job. It's fizzing away lik a good'un...just no head.

I've got a few more yeast questions coming up shortly :roll:

Right...another yeasty question

I've had a read on Mr Malty regards White Labs yeast. The WLP 023 vial I've used contains roughy 100 - 120 billion yeast cells (BYC from here on)
By stepping this up straight into a 2ltr starter, I should now have rougly 200 - 240 BYC.
What I want to do now is to split this initial starter into 2, each having rougly 120 BYC.
I want to add one to 2lts of DME solution, and when it's finished I will split it into 4 and store, the other I want to add to a 4ltr starter which will then be pitched directly into 60 ltrs of wort when I've brewed.

Mr Malty suggests I need, using intermittent shaking, a 3.56 ltr starter which will yield 483 BYC, however the White Labs info contradicts this saying the starter need to be over 4ltrs.

Can I add 120 BYC to a 4ltr DME solution without stressing the yeast, or do I need to do what Mr Malty suggests and pitch 2 vials worth (240 BYC)?

You've gone into this with your eye's open V1 :clap: - I just chucked it in :oops:

Can you step up the starter, e.g. start with 2L let the cells grow, add 1L let the cells grow then add the final 1L, thats what I have done. Today the starter that I kicked off yesterday had grew a large layer of yeast at the bottom of the DJ so I added 1L (100g dme) and it's going for it again there is now a 1.5cm layer at the bottom of the DJ?

I am worried now about stressing yeast so I'd i'm not confident I have enough as I split my batches to 2x 25L FV's I'll ferment 1 with this and the other with good old S04 :lol:

Get out of town! Have I actually been useful! :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Well, I split the 2ltr starter yeast between 2 x 2ltr starters and within a hour both are glugging happily :clap:

It's the dogs gonads being yeast....eat all you can...get pished...then eat all you can...get pished...and repeat :lol:

Latest posts

Back