Bitter yeasts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one, i'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing in my DJ at the moment, will step up to 4L tomorrow ready for a brew on Wed :cool:

Right...looking for some pointers.
Tonight I stepped the WLP023 up to 4ltrs, and TBH, I didn't like what I smelt in the DJ, once I had poured off the spent wort.
Can someone who's used this yeast confirm what i should be smelling from the yeast cake.
To me it smelt of sulphur and eggs and not at all nice. I've only had this once before and that was using US-05 for the first time, so again I didn't know what to expect.
The US-05 brew took forever to clear and in common with that see this picture. The clearish demijogh has already been stepped up whilst the pea soup 023 has not. I tasted the 004 spent wort and it was o.k....nothing wrong...but I forgot to save the 023 wort :roll: :oops:

CIMG0342400x300.jpg

Does this sound and look right?

From my limited experience they both look fine to me, very similar to what I have in the kitchen at the moment. The WLP023 is the Burton yeast (right?) if so I'd not be surprised with that small going from how some of Marstons (of Burtons) beer smell but I may be way off the mark with that? I hope someone who's grew that one on can clear it up :grin:

Hey don't knock it, thats what its all about :thumb:

Oops thread hijack :oops:

I've never used WLP023 but a sulphery odour isn't always a bad thing (for the beer anyway!) and may be just a characteristic of this yeast. If my memory serves me then WLP300 stank of rotten eggs when I used it a few years ago - I nearly dumped it thinking it was an infection but the resultant ale was quite nice...

Cheers chaps. I've just checked up on the starter and it's bubbling more than once every 2 seconds.
I reckon the 1st step up to 2ltrs probably fermented out before I next checked it...this apprears to be a rapid yeast.
No funny smells today from the yeast...yet...some sulphur but nothing to wory about.

Vossy1 said:
wouldn't a sugar solution with yeast vit do the same job as spraymalt ?

No . . . you are making beer not alcohol, do not be tempted to use any substitute for malt. I find making an extra qty of wort while making a batch of beer, and then 'canning' it is the best way to make starter wort. I evaporate it down to about 1.060, and then put it in pasta sauce jars (Which take 500ml nicely), and pressure cook it for 15 minutes before sealing means that I have wort for starters ( I dilute the 500ml of 1.060 wort to 3 Litres) readily available . . . and as its wort that I have made I know if I can cut corners and pitch the entire starter rather than waiting for it to settle out.

Cheers Aleman ;)
Next question...how long does WLP023 take to settle out :hmm:
It's finished, and I expected to come home today to a decent yeast layer, but I think most of it is still in solution...might have to delay tomorrows brewday :(

Depends on how finished it is . . . As I use quite a dilute wort for starters (No Higher than 1.012) I have no problems with it settling out in 12-20 hours from turning off the stir plate.

Aleman... you'll have to explain to us again why you use such a dilute wort ?

All the advice says around 1.035 - 1.040 ? :wha:

Back