Growing Hops??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandan

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm looking to grow my own hops, does anyone know a good plance to purchase the plants from? a North West supplier is great, but mail order place will do!

Dan

Its the wrong time of year to plant . . . but I can send you a few cuttings from my Fuggle if you are interested

The problem is that they are growing and when cutting the rhizome, you stand a much bigger risk of getting a fungal infection . . . I have done it quite successfully though . . . but it isn't 100%. You also stand a chance of killing off the new growth (especially sending them through the post), and its unlikely to reshoot having used up the resources stored from the previous year

Aleman said:
Its the wrong time of year to plant . . . but I can send you a few cuttings from my Fuggle if you are interested

:cheers: cheers for the offer Aleman, but not ready just yet was looking into it really, I need to sort a area out on my mum & dads allotment to grow them on, and build a structure for them to climb up! :hmm: think i'll get some seeds and grow some in the autumn when the green house has some room on the nursery trays!

I have been thinking about this too. how high does the strained wires need to be. what sort of soil is best.... what care needs to be taken of the plant. I take it as they are rhizomes the best time to plant is when they are dormant... Whats the cropping rate for one plant? any websites on hop growing.... etc

I got mine from aplus hops. 2 out of 3 have sprouted so far and the Fuggles are going great guns and climbing already. I am hoping for a first year crop on them, but not worried if I don't.

Aplus have got a section on planting/growing on their site and supply their hops with an instruction sheet as well.

Hops, certainly traditional varieties, are weeds, and grow with vigour. Ideally my fuggles need at least 20 feet to climb up so dwarf like Prima donna are possibly a better option.

Soil treatment is basically lots of sh*t, blood n Bone, plenty of organic matter, a good mulch during the growing season, and water them well.

They spread like stink though I have planted mine in the biggest pot from BnQ that I could get, which I have sunk into the soil . . . which has stopped them escaping so far . . . but they will be going into a raised bed sometime. . . .

APlus do not necessarily have a good reputation on supply, but Deacons Nursery (Sandown Isle of Wight) is an excellent supplier and has a few varieties for sale . . . traditional and dwarf.

I do have a contact in Germany for some of the 'lager' varieties . . . but need to dig it out.

My little hop garden...... All first year so I don't expect much in the way of cones this year.

Hops205a.jpg

Here are my fuggles (sorry for the reflection off the window):

SANY0249.jpg

If anyone remembers the picture of them breaking ground, I just can't believe the speed of growth! When the sun is shining, the main bine is growing upto 6" in a day!

Just a reminder that your hops should now be throwing out side shoots . . . these are where the cones form so the more the merrier. . . . At this point you really want to start changing your fertilising regime, and start using a fertiliser which is rich in potassium as this stimulates flower production . . . I would recommend a good quality liquid tomato fertiliser.

I'll post piccies of my hop poles later today . . . I've got hopes of a good crop this year

I have been adding a bit of sulphate of potash as a top dressing. Before this was some fish, blood and bone. Is this ok? How often should I be top dressing with the potash? Got home tonight and saw this on one of my many side bines (sorry about the crappy quality picture):

DSC00064.jpg

Is this the beginning of a burr? It looks different than when the leaves pop out as its a bit bulbous If so then :party:

I think it's doing really well for a 1st year, and am so proud! :D

Gotta love this hot weather! All the side bines have grown 6-9" in a day! They are going mental!

All I need now is some burrs! :pray:

Having read this thread I've decided to have a go at growing my own hops too. Got blackcurrants, rhubarb, and rasberries gooseberries, and plums so might as well fill up some spare plots with some hops?
My question is how much crop do you get off a single plant in the year? Just looking at not using it all but building up stock in the freezer as well so looking at more than one plant?

After about three years you can be looking to take around a kilo (dried) per plant. . . . . Some are more productive than others, I know someone who gets around 1.6Kg of his northdown.

I got 50g off my fuggles last year :(

Hi,

my dwarf hop bines are generally doing well as the second pictures shows.

hop20pest.jpg

wide20view20of20hops.jpg

The first picture shows a close up of the leafs and these are getting eaten by some sort of pest.
Should I be worried?
What is it and can I do anything about it?

I don't have any flowers yet, its my first year so I'm not worried, but when do the cones appear?

I would be grateful for any help

cheers

droop

Back