Growing Hops??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you've got a little bug. In the second picture one of the shaded leaves at the bottom looks particularly infested. Maybe a grub in the actual leaf. I'm no expert but the BBC pest identifier thingy might help.

thanks for the tip. I have had a look, but nothing seems to match on the BBC. For sure something is having a dam good munch :(

Slugs??

One thing that is done around this time is to remove the lower leaves to prevent downy mildew infections. . . .

Hops grow wild around here (East Herts) and I've always wondered if they're worth harvesting. This year they've invaded my garden and I was going to cut them back but if anyone doesn't mind a surprise and fancies using them I'll let them grow. These plus some from a couple of other sites I know might yield enough for a pint or two.

Anyone interested?

Edit: Taken. Jeez, you lot are quick!

DSC00264.jpg

hey PC...You've got hops on yer vine already :shock: ....mine are still bare as a Badger's Bottom :cry: up here in Lancashire....except for the bloody aphids which seem to have multiplied rather too well this year....what happened to the plague of ladybirds that was supposed to appear?

Anybody else got Hops on their plants?

Hops used in beer are generally sensimilla?
That is with out seed, correct.
Around my area (rural Wiltshire) there are quite a few wild Hop plants.

Question is, have any of you who are growing Hops ever had problems with your crop going to seed?

Traditional English hops such as Goldings and Fuggles are grown seeded :thumb:
Continental hops are generally grown seedless ;)

This is the first time I ever said this to another man (honest)

NICE CONES :thumb:

This is my 3rd year of growing my own. I've got Fuggles & Challenger. Fuggles is a mad plant. The one below is a single plant (going along the top and also off to the left) and is only 3 years old. They go bloody mad... Last year it gave me over 5 kilos of hops. I'm still using last years and as you can see this years is going to be a bumper crop too :party:

Image0023.jpg

I know. Mad isn't it.
I think you may find some turning up on ebay (use the proceeds to help pay for my fuel costs next year on my Long Way Home trip... :thumb: ).

Jesus, that's a mental one Russ! :thumb:

Guess what I thought was a monster with mine, is just a baby! Better start rigging up some cables for next year, rather than twine!

A quick question! (or two)
When do hop roots usually go on sale/despatched? I've been told its autumn sometime! When abouts in autumn?

the reason i ask is that i'm planning on ordering some to grow on the allotment, but it all depends on if they fit around my operation.

Latest posts

Back