Growing Hops??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are not doing too well, Fuggles doing okay, but not many cones, others not so well. Think I planted them a bit late, maybe next year.

russt1969 said:
From memory my hop rhizomes were sent to me in Dec/Jan. Planted them and covered them well, away they went in Spring.

Cheers :party: that means dan dan will be having hops next year!!

russt1969 said:
From memory my hop rhizomes were sent to me in Dec/Jan. Planted them and covered them well, away they went in Spring.

They were obviously good quality rhizomes you got russt, which supplier did you get them from?

I know that traditionally the bines are cut from the wires and laid out but if you just pick the hops and leave the plant will it die off and shoot again from the base or will the same bine leaf and flower the next year?

delboy said:
They were obviously good quality rhizomes you got russt, which supplier did you get them from?

Sorry, I cant remember. (Too much beer since getting them :grin: )
I'll have a butchers and see if I've still got the invoice.
I'll let you know Del

Mine is nowhere near as impressive as Russ', as yet again the wind has got to them.

Hops01.jpg

Its blown the metal poles towards the fence and the lines I trained the bines along have sagged . . . . Still I knew the Budlia would come in useful for something.

I'm amazed at the crop this year, considering how aggressively neglected they have been. And this time last week I just had tiny strigs, now look at how they have changed.

Hops02.jpg

Still some very nice cones

Hops03.jpg

Just got to wait now for the lupulin to develop . . . I need sun!!

When is the time to pick I've. Found loads of wild hops but they smell like fresh cut grass at the moment

I've also found loads of wild hops by me, no idea what they are - could even be ornamental ones.

If they don't smell of anything (like some I found) I wouldn't bother, but it could just be that they haven't fully ripened yet.

russt1969 said:
This is my 3rd year of growing my own. I've got Fuggles & Challenger. Fuggles is a mad plant. The one below is a single plant (going along the top and also off to the left) and is only 3 years old. They go bloody mad... Last year it gave me over 5 kilos of hops. I'm still using last years and as you can see this years is going to be a bumper crop too :party:

Image0023.jpg

That looks fantastic!, well done :thumb:

Harvested my 1st year Fuggles at the weekend, and managed to get 330g dried! Did do the drying in the oven (@ about 30-40C), but they seem to have come out a treat. Will probably try a brew with them next weekend :D

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Nice pic Aleman!

Hops03.jpg
Thanks, and I've just spent the last two hours harvesting some of the hops on the plant . . . I've collected a 2 gallon Nappy Pail full . . . that are to go into the loft suspended on a sheet to dry . . . I've got another load to harvest tomorrow :D

How high do Hops want to be suspended / grown. Will I get away with a Fuggle and a Golding growing up onto the rail of my decking. Its on a slope and the bottom side is about 9 feet from the ground.?
Oh and how the heck do you dry 5Kg of hops?

Latest posts

Back