Not Perle Kolsch... Chinook Kolsch....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darcey

Landlord.
Reaction score
Two brewdays in two days! Wonderful.. those empty kegs wont fill themselves!

23l Length
5kg Pilsner Malt
Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast!

Mash @ 65c for 75mins
Boil 90mins

60min Perle 30g@ 8%aa. IBU 25~

Nice and easy. I am not sure the perle hops are the freshest. I am thinking about looking in the hop store and using something else.. I dont think I have anything suitable tho! Cascade Kolsch sounds nice but i'm not sure its the flavour I am after!

D

Hop aroma is not that strong in kolsch, that Perle should be fine if only not oxidized. The best kolsch i ever tasted (Reissdorf) had no hop aroma at all.

I am just doing a 90min addition. I am ditching the perle as its got a slight cheese smell :sick:

Only thing I have really is some chinook... its only 17g to get the IBU... I guess I'll just have to throw it in!

Next one I'll get some Hersbrucker.. love that hop!

D

I have been trying afew from a new bottle shop thats opened in the market. I like it, pretty tasty! I am really experimenting with the yeast. Wanna try using it for some pale ales. Gotta get a good first brew! Last one became infected thanks to crappy smack pack (and me smacking it too early! :oops: )

Also my attempts at making some lager from malt extract has failed, they all taste terrible and I dont have the space or inclination to spend a whole day making an full AG lager and then lager it properly. I need something that will pass the non IPA crowds approval and my own personal taste.

Perle in the bin.. :shock:
Chinook in the copper! I really had nothing similar, should have kept some Styrian Goldings from yesterday but didnt plan on the perle smelling off. Only 17g and it'll be lagered for a month at least.

Anyway only 17g of hops feels like an insult to my usual beers but its in and boiling for 2 hours as I got a better efficiency out of my mash than planned so boiling it down by an extra 10l.

Should have the yeast pitched by 5pm!

I had better check the fermenting fridge still works... :hmm:

D

pittsy said:
think i'd like to try a kolsch
Ive been banging on about it so much the last 3 weeks, this beer had better be bloody lovely! I think I'll be bottling at least 6l anyway!

The way I have akined the flavour of the ones I have tried (all pasturised bottles!) is a flavoursome lager, slightly mellow rather than crisp with more rounded flavour profile.

The main purpose of brewing this (apart from getting some lovely beer out of it :drink: )I am going to keep the yeast cake and throw a 1.060 IPA at it and brew slightly higher temp and see what happens! By the sounds of it the yeast is quite versatile in its different flavours at different temperatures.

D

Back