Single Hop, Single Malt. Any Yeast Ideas ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RokDok

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,

I've followed the single hop/malt link and am tempted to try.

I'd like to do 2 * 50 l batches , both with MO, one with EKG as recommended in the post, the other with maybe fuggles,cascade or styrian goldings - I'm not yet sure.

I'm really interested to taste the difference between the same beer with different hops.

I'm new to this and have only used TTL & Fullers yeasts so far (Smackpack 1968 &1469).

I'd like to try another.

Any recommendations ??

Thanks,

RD

I'd go for Cascade because EKG, fuggles and styrian arn't massively different. Cascade is pretty world renowned for its own flavour and is a dual purpose hop, so you can use it for both bittering and aroma with no imbalance.

As for yeast, no idea, but I'd stick with the same one for both batches as there will be a big flavour difference. You could go for the classics (US-05, S04, Nottingham etc,) but I do remember seeing a link on here about a brewing club recommending a Wyeast for general brewing purposes. I'll try and dig up the link...

i think youll find ekg fuggles and styrian are all different. The flavours from these hops are greatly different
styrian are bobek and do differ to fuggles.

Thankyou,

For the second I'll go with fuggles. It will be very interesting for me to taste the difference.

I've planted Cascade, EKG and Fuggles this year, the Cascade is going like a train so I might have some of my own later this summer to try again.

RokDok said:
As for yeast, no idea, but I'd stick with the same one for both batches as there will be a big flavour difference. You could go for the classics (US-05, S04, Nottingham etc,) but I do remember seeing a link on here about a brewing club recommending a Wyeast for general brewing purposes. I'll try and dig up the link...

I do intend to stick with the same yeast. I'm hoping to produce a light summer ale around 3.8% , something that you could have a few pints of early evening or on a summer afternoon without feeling the need for a nap. Any other opinion on which yeast might fit the bill ?

Cheers

RD

These brews are made and are superb.

In fact Mrs RokDok is drinking them too.

The interesting thing is that there is much less difference between the EKG and cascade than I imagined.

Brings home the fact that the majority of the flavour of a beer is derived from the yeast.

Thanks GA for the recommendation for using the US-05.

I'm going to do another double brew which will give 4 fvs of beer, again using just MO.

I'd like to use four different yeasts, if you guys were doing this what would your choices be ?

Something which is going to give the widest range of flavours.

Cheers

RD

Whitelabs WLP002 English, WLP British, or WLP Dry English are all great yeasts or the Brewlab range. I have only tried their Thames valley and one they knocked up for me based on the Essex strain. Both were very good.

I phoned them and said I wanted a yeast similar to the old Essex brewery Riddleys. They sent one and called it Essex IPA. I believe they supply and store yeast for a lot of brewerys but are reluctant to give it the same name. You get one slant, £4 including delivery which I stepped up and divided to make 6 starters.

+1 for Brewlab as Dennis says, they have a huge database of yeasts, just ask them what you want, in fact why don't you email them to say you are doing 4 different brews and can they recommend 4 different yeasts for each, going from very eastery to very neutral

Rich,

I have to agree the US 05 with just MO was stunning,(I've not been brewing long so I'm still a bit starry-eyed about it all), very clean

and crisp, but also a really malty aroma, smelt exactly like the garage when I was mashing.

I 'm just really interested to see how diverse the flavours can be using a very simple single hop & malt recipe but with different yeasts.

I'll post what Alison recommends, but may not be for a week or so as we're off the the IOW festival.

Cheers

RD

just a thought try a belgium yeast maybe , many good 1's like wlp400 or maybe wlp550 . it will be completely different

I've had some great results doing SMASH brews with WLP029 Kolsch yeast. Its nice, clean and crisp letting the flavours of the malt and hops show through. I've used this to great effect whilst changing the base malts to see how the beer changes.
I guess if you are sticking with the same recipe but changing yeast might be worth trying something a bit more adventurous, like pittsy says a belgian yeast, how about a saison yeast for a bit of spiciness too? or maybe even WLP645 Brettanomyces claussenii for some sublt brettiness!

Now this is getting very interesting.

One of the ciders we made last year, in fact from my own tree which is an old unknown variety produced a really clear crisp sparkly light cider- we just pressed the juice and left it for a few months before bottling, it's a wild yeast, so must be a kind of brettanomyces, so perhaps I should culture some of that from a bottle and try that in one FV.

Something continental also appeals.

Mmmm.

Food for thought.

RD

Back