Beaverdale Wine kit - HELP!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ange

Reaction score
Morning Readers,

Yep - I KNOW they are meant to be super-easy these kits, everything ya need, step-by-step instructions etc. However, I'm about to start mine today (first time ever, Wine making!) and would just like to run this past you first as I'm not too sure.

OK. Once I've done the 'shaking' and added the sachet of Bentonite and waited 15 mins then stirred well, THEN sprinkled the sachet of Yeast and shaken again, can I THEN transfer it into the glass 1-gallon demi-john?? I don't wanna shake/add/stir/add then shake again the demi-john in case I drop it - it's bound to be heavier than the little bucket that came with the kit!

Advice please? :)

Thanks

Ange
x

Morning Ange,

I can understand your reservations at this stage, glass DJs should last a lifetime with proper care but can be unforgiving if dropped or bashed. They also don't like washing with hot water and then immediately rinsing with cold, thermal shock can make their bottoms drop off.

If you are mixing everything up and starting it off in a lidded bucket of appropriate size, there's no reason why it shouldn't stay in that bucket for its first week.

It doesn't NEED to be in a bucket as there is no solid matter and fruit pulp, but if you do pour it into the DJ, don't overfill it at the beginning, you should only fill about half way up the shoulder of the jar and then top up when fermentation has quietened down a bit, because it will take a day or so to get going but then the initial fermentation can be quite vigorous and there's a good chance of it frothing up and squirting through the airlock.

Morning Moley,

ON IT'S WAY! Started it yesterday, my airing cupboard is a constant 22° c, just looked in and... it's started gently bubbling!! :grin:

Many thanks for your reply, appreciated. Sorry to say, I have other questions I'll post on here, so bare with me for a few days 'til I get *into it* properly.

Thanks!

Ange
x

Latest posts

Back