Wilko's Own Brand Cerveza.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have brewed this kit five times so far and have been impressed how it came out. Please note that I only brew this in the colder months, so not sure if this is any help at this time of year.

I used:
kit can but substituted kit yeast for S-23 yeast.
1kg Beer Enhancer.
500g Light Spray Malt.
Brewed short to 20L.
Pitched yeast at 21c
Fermented at 16c using an aquarium heater (was in October)
Start OG 1.050
Finish SG 1.005 about 5.9%
18 days to ferment out and four days on the garage floor. Batch primed 160g Tescos Golden Sugar. 37 bottles 500ml and one 275ml.
Just started on this one and although not a big lager drinker, its tastes bleeding lovely. A lot of flavour but as I rarely drink lager I can't really compare it with any commercial lagers.

Fermenting:
Geordie Bitter, fiddled about with it. 1kg Medium Spray Malt, 200g Crystal Malt,100g Wheat Malt, 100g Chocolate Malt, 100g Flaked Barley, 30g Brewing Sugar, Kit yeast + US-05.

Wilko Velvet Stout, Two tins + yeast and the same ingredients as above. The mess this made on the floor, blimey must have lost at least a pint. Lovely smell in the garage though.

Conditioning:
Brewferm x 5
Coopers Wheat
Coopers Stout x 3
Coopers Irish Stout
Geordie Bitter x 3
Donner & Blitzed
Yorkshire Bitter x 2
Milestone Shine On
Wilkos Cervesa x 3
Loads of different Saisons

Next up:
Coopers lager pimped up with Extra Light Spray Malt and Belle Saison yeast.

:thumb:

mine has come out at 6.3 % after using 2kgs of sugar

I have yet to bottle mind and it is was just put into the secondary fermenter late yesterday

Kicked mine off this afternoon and added 1.5 kg of liquid malt and 500g spraymalt SG of 1050. Struggled a bit with high temps for pitching but managed to get it down to 22c which was the air temperature in my kitchen,by filling the sink with salt water and ice and standing the fv in it. Couldn't make up my mind to use the kit yeast or the wilko gervin I had but used the kit in the end as I have a bitter kit with no yeast..

Cheers

Clint

....just got in temp up to 24 fv lid bulging and airlock starsan displaced so something happening...it's now wearing a nice big wet towel. Really need to sort a brew fridge. .

Cheers

Clint

...a very civilised ferment! Only a slight krausen and a continuous bulging of the fv lid. Also managing to maintain 20-22 c with a big wet towel so hopefully all well!

Cheers

Clint

..14 days gone, smells good with the hops. The hop sock I used (100 micron filter sock ) with 2 teaspoons to weigh it down, is now floating?!! Probably from ferment gas from the hops..just checked the gravity..1014 which is a little high against the kit suggestions of "constantly below 1008" which still gives abv of 4.6 . I've squashed the air out of the sock with a sterilised paddle so the disturbance may kick it off a bit..I'll check again tomorrow. It tastes ok too.

Cheers

Clint

Sneaked a couple of these last night. Two weeks carbonation then left in the fridge for 8 days. Nice and clear excellent carbonation with great head retention. Clean and crisp with the saaz hops really coming through in taste and aroma; good mouth feel. Had a mate round who really liked it too.

Cheers

Clint

I began brewing this one at the end of April.

I added 1kg of brewing sugar and 500g of LME. Brewed to 21litres, OG of 1.048

10 days in I dry hopped with approx 20g of Aramis.

Bottled end of May FG of 1.010 making it a 4.99% brew.

What I have found is that this brew needs a little longer in the bottle probably due to the added fermentables.

I tried a bottle this evening, 5 months in the bottle and it tastes really good, great head and retention and that sweet aftertaste has now matured into quite a crisp clean refreshing brew.

As to the hopiness, I will probably up the hops from 20g to 50g.

I have given a bottle of this a number of friends and all have given it the :thumb:

Next time I will try with Saaz and the following one will be dry hopped with a combination of Amarillo and Cascade.

SWMBO and my daughter love the Cervezas, Wilko or Coopers. I'm just finishing drinking one I did with Polaris hops and I'll be putting another one on next week with fresh hops a friend at work brought in for me. I have no idea what they are or the AA but a half kilo of hops for a couple of bottles is OK by me.

I did get toucan versions of their Golden Ale and Wheat Beer for £10 each over the summer but I think they were running the stock down as they're all one can kits now. I've got one of their new IPA kits that I bottled last weekend, I'll have a first taste next weekend. Not trusting them I added 60g of fresh hops a HB'r mate at work gave me. Considering it's an IPA I Cant find what hops they use in it for love nor money.

I bottled cerveza on sunday and my clear glass sample bottle is clear as a bell! Ive put one in rhe fridge this morning to try tonight., do you think it'll be ok 5 days in?!

The 2 can kit I had was tequila and lime flavour
They where selling them cheap at the time

I bottled cerveza on sunday and my clear glass sample bottle is clear as a bell! Ive put one in rhe fridge this morning to try tonight., do you think it'll be ok 5 days in?!

Well I've had it! And it wasn't bad! Another few days in the spare room then the beer shed, think it will be perfect by crimbo!

Hi All,

This is going to be my next (and 2nd ever) brew.

I'm not sure if I'm running before I can walk but I was going to try and modify this a little.

I have a packet of WYeast (2007 Pilsner) 100g of Saaz hops (pellets) and 1kg of muntons light spray malt to use in place of the sugar.

What do you guys think? Will this work out or am I on a road to disappointment?

Hi All,

This is going to be my next (and 2nd ever) brew.

I'm not sure if I'm running before I can walk but I was going to try and modify this a little.

I have a packet of WYeast (2007 Pilsner) 100g of Saaz hops (pellets) and 1kg of muntons light spray malt to use in place of the sugar.

What do you guys think? Will this work out or am I on a road to disappointment?

Nope, that will make a very fine brew. Just remember to make a yeast starter.

Nope, that will make a very fine brew. Just remember to make a yeast starter.

Thanks :) I'm not so sure on the yeast starter yet, I don't have any equipment for it. I was hoping to be able to use the smack pack and dump it in once it was expanded.

If not I'll get a dry one for now and keep the wyeast for another time (when I'm able to get permission from her indoors to buy more stuff!).

Thanks :) I'm not so sure on the yeast starter yet, I don't have any equipment for it. I was hoping to be able to use the smack pack and dump it in once it was expanded.

If not I'll get a dry one for now and keep the wyeast for another time (when I'm able to get permission from her indoors to buy more stuff!).

You don't need any more kit. Just add it to some DME and shake it. There is a thread about it here.

Back