Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure but Coopers say to add 0.5% ABV as a rule of thumb for bottled conditioned beer??

Oh well, just got this going today. It is an expensive kit at £24, but I hope it reaps rewards. I put my Wilko Hoppy Copper in a secondary today and had a quick taste, early days I know but it tasted like the Geordie kits I used to do in the 80s, so I hope that improves. But in short I'm hoping for good things from this Festival kit, it'll be a good comparison.

Mine is sitting on the side, just letting it settle a little more before kegging, can't wait, still smells good.

And that funny erm baggy thing will come in handy, especially as I got 2 in my kit

Brewbob said:
Oh well, just got this going today. It is an expensive kit at £24, but I hope it reaps rewards. I put my Wilko Hoppy Copper in a secondary today and had a quick taste, early days I know but it tasted like the Geordie kits I used to do in the 80s, so I hope that improves. But in short I'm hoping for good things from this Festival kit, it'll be a good comparison.
All made by muntons i think.

Well I put it on and the bloody yeast isn't viable. Now my LHBS isn't open on a thurs and I'm working nights. So I'll have to go first thing Friday before I go to bed. What a pisser!

Ooh, got home from work this morning and it's happily bubbling away like it should be :) . So it's off to bed I go, phew

Well mines in the keg now, a lot of sludge but the straining bag looks to have done its job.

Now I can't sniff it anymore, bah, only a couple of weeks to go...

Tried one of my bottles of this at the weekend, totally different from the keg. They have been bottled for 7 weeks and were extremely gassy, for some reason the keg doesnt really carbonate as well, but then again, I think I prefer it with less bubbles :cool:

Oh My Days!!! I just gave this a cheeky try, its still in the FV, seems a bit stuck at 1020 (anyone else experienced this?), but I had a little dip and the hoppy flavours coming through were amazing. I really can't wait until this is ready!! It'll be a perfect summer brew

Brewbob said:
Oh My Days!!! I just gave this a cheeky try, its still in the FV, seems a bit stuck at 1020 (anyone else experienced this?), but I had a little dip and the hoppy flavours coming through were amazing. I really can't wait until this is ready!! It'll be a perfect summer brew

Mine's been in the keg and sample bottles for 2 weeks, last night one of the bottles was hissing, so had no option but to try it....

Bearing in mind, for lunch I had tried in Wetherspoons some Hoppy Bomber, and a Golden Delicious, all I can say is.......THIS IS AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER!!!!

Blown away, was a little flat as afterall the bottle had decided to go during the daytime, but wow, this one is unlikely to see a summer time, may have to grab another one now for Keg 5!!!!

Slightly darker than the ones in the pub, but very clear, some sediment at the bottom of the bottle, but not a lot, very grapefruity, will run out of superlatives for it, a defininte make another kit, just so friend that missing out on the sample can try it or something

Brewed it as per instructions, but to 20ish litres, and jobs a good un

:thumb:

This is my first kit. Put the Hop sachet in today, took a sample to measure gravity and had a little taste. I didn't know what I was expecting but it was a lot better then I thought it would be.

Looking forward to getting it in the keg and enjoying it in the sun :)

COR!!!!! I've just bottled this cheeky little number and all I can say is COR!!!!!!

I've had it in a secondary for about a week, and because of all the hops and muck that was in it I think its really been beneficial, there was pretty much another trub at the bottom of the secondary!

What I've just tasted, although not yet conditioned is ready to drink. The addition of the hop pellets is a revelation. Its a little darker than I expected, but the hoppiness comes through so strong, and once it conditions and matures I really don't see how it can be improved upon. It has honestly knocked socks off of most of the beers I've tried lately. Can't speak highly enough of it, and though it will be a wrench, it will also be a pleasure to give some of the bottles away to friends, for an upcoming wedding, and a couple of birthdays, and say I made that!!!

Now I just need to leave it a couple of weeks......... :cool:

Well, I gave up, was sat in the backroom for nearly 2 weeks, then, ermm a day or 2 in the Cellar, and yup, WOW.

Did a taste test on SWMBO, poured some from a bottle of Marks and Sparks Citra IPA, and this, and she preferred this.

My dad, mainly into 'normal' London Pride bitter, tried some, his first taste of the hoppy variety ale, was unsure first sip, second sip, liked, third 'what kinda beer is it?'

He wouldn't of pegged it as homebrew, and after a trip to the garden centre, on the way back, kept exclaiming how thirsty he was :rofl:

Only downside is, it takes about 4 minutes to pour a pint from my Wilko keg to avoid a pint of froth :whistle:

I must have put this on a different review thread, but after putting a bottle of my FGS into a mate's charity fete I came away with this...
ybevesu2.jpg

Just made my 1st of these miss read the instruction made up to 25 litres now just wait and how much difference it will make :cry:

After having spent the weekend at TST and tasting a wide variety of different ales, I can say that my Golden Stag tastes like an American Pale Ale, must be the hops?!?

Refreshing :D

just added the hops they are just sat in the foam on the top hopfully they will make there way into the brew :drink:

Mines now had about 5 weeks in the keg and i'm really impressed.

As someone above mentioned very grapefruity and nice and hoppy.

It is quite bitter but i'm hoping that might mellow out a bit over time (if it lasts that long)

This is definitely my best result to date and i'll definitely be trying another Festival Kit next, either the Landlords Finest or Pilgrims Hope

Very very impressed with it

Latest posts

Back