Lowicz Blackcurrant Syrup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have just checked and at Tesco they sell the Lowicz Blackcurrant Syrup in 440Ml bottles.

I would like to try a wow with this syrup so if i were to use 1 litre of RGJ how much Lowicz Blackcurrant Syrup would i add to the Gallon DJ, i read the whole 440 MI bottle would make it too strong.

I saw that and that is why i am asking here, the question is not answered there, weepeet does say "That'll be way too strong mate. For me half a bottle in a gallon is about right" as he does not mention it is that just on its own or with a grape juice?

I don't like hijacking threads so i thought i would start my own.

Well I use a full bottle in a flavoured TC, but I really like blackcurrant, whilst others find that half a bottle is enough. If you're going for a light rose then I suspect half is enough, whereas I would prefer to use the blackcurrant in a rapid-red.

I had misread your first post as to referring to whether using a full bottle would give too much alcoholic strength rather than flavour strength (which now think you mean). Which was, sort of, addressed in the thread I referred to.

Incidentally, either blackcurrant is FOTM or Tesco has suddenly gone global on stocking it - it's cropping up in a lot of threads in the last few days.

This is what I'm making tomorrow morning :). not WOW i don't think but sounds like fun! viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14965&start=0

Seems simple! I'm sure it would work just as well with black current. There is also a different recipe a little further down the page with grape juice etc. bear in mind I'm just a noob lol but i hope this helps :thumb:

When I did it I used 4l of white grape juice and a bottle of syrop mate, and for me it was the flavour that was too much. I didn't think of the extra juice making the flavour a bit much and I'm starting to doubt myself a bit now but I won't be adding that much to 1 gallon again any time soon!

Sorry mate, it was the cherry stuff I used. The op in the other thread was asking about general advice for a syrop wine and the one gallon batch I did with a full bottle was not plesant after it finished fermenting so it got split across 2 other DJs and topped up with juice, more yeast and a secondary fermentation started. Its now quite nice though not quite finished fermenting. The second batch I put on was a 1g Rasberry and wgj and it ended up the same, so its sitting in the DJ untill I can get space to split it as well.

To my mind they are both more rose than reds.

Back