cornelius varitemp 250

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12many

Reaction score
hi all, I have recently purchased a cornelius varitemp 250 but for some reason only one side seems to be chilled, anyone have any idea what the reason is for this?
many thanks in advance :-)

i use a chiller but didnt recognise the model so googled it and found this..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BEER-COOLER-I ... 7675.l2557

probably yours ;)?

i have a maxi 310 which has 4 lines in a common waterbath,

1) did u fill it to the point it overflowed out of the plugged back port before you replugged and started?

2) did u give it at least an hour running before u tested it
mine needs between 30-45mins to chil the waterbath to about 0C creating an ice wall will take significantly longer

since the pictured varitemp250 has the single fill hole but 2 control dials ? it would help if you could pull the top off and take a pic or 2..
as i dont recognise the configuration, 1 bath 2 baths? if a common bath the second line should have some chill even if there is a fault?

i doubt u have 2 independent compressors in there that would be very expensive and over engineered, so the fact u have cold one side suggests its not a total loss and there is hope.. compressor failure/leak is death, anything else should be fix/bodge-able ;)

im guessing that the controls manage agitator blade speeds, and perhaps a gate to open/close flow? an agitator may be stuck or a valve could be stuck on the one side.

it should open up by removing the screws around the top and down one side, inside will be a black bell like object the compressor and its radiator and fan on oneside the other will contain the waterbath/waterbaths?

with the top off you should see some mechanical activity on top of the waterbath/s? when u opperate the controls when powered up, seeing what happens one side and not the other will give u a clue...

Thank you for this, i will rip it apart tomorrow and let you know if its solved or if it ended up in the skip after being beaten to a pulp :-)

Back