My Hop frame, with Hops and now harvested

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
This will be an ongoing thread as my frame takes shape and takes it's new hops to great heights.

This will be the hop frame once made, the pulleys each will have a rope and a single hop growing off them all going out in a radius.
HopFrame.jpg

I shall post some pic's of the plot of land once theres more to see than brown dirt and horse poo.

I got a bit of builders line( flourecent red) attatched to a tree in my garden about 30 foot up hoping my new hops grow up that looks cool in the snow3
i was thinking of doing the uprights on my allotment with galvanised conduit you can get it in 3mt lenghts with threaded on each end so 2 of them each end and use wire across the top on pullys and then just run wires up to the cross wire but your maypole looks like an idea I might try and work out with the conduit
costed to £37.50
with upright 7.5mtr allowing 1.5mtr in the ground
also with round bar you wouldnt need pullys
check out conduit see what you think

For me and my area I don't think it would stand up to the weight of the hops and some of the winds I have up here, I have recorded 40mph winds thoughout the year.
And I can get hold of steel easily :whistle:

The 20mm conduit may be too floppy, the hops could be under a lot of stress climbing a moving target, a way around it would be to make the guide wires strong and very tight to act as stays. I'd use poly rope rather than builders line, the hops would also get better grip.

Might I suggest that you use natural hessian twine for the hops to grow up, as it really does make it easy for them to grip . . . polyprop is a bit slippery

Last year the natural twine I used rotted really quickly due to all the wet weather :roll:
Better get really thick stuff as you have the winds to contend with also.

I was thinking of some 6 mm polyester braid on braid sheet/ Halyard rope can get my hands on some and will last for years.
And i can splice the ends to make everything neat.

At my allotment I was told not to use twine for climbing plants as it burns the tendrills (I imagine they meant friction), they advised me to use plastic coated steel wire....after I had made everything climb with natural twine :roll:

PS, the plants still climbed and didn't complain :rofl:

Well I have three months to work it out, Maybe do a test of all different types of rope twine and ask the plants which one they like! :lol:

your allotment were very mistaken as they grow not climb otherwise they would be riping out the tendrils that twine
as the hops litlraly twine they are growing from the top not sliding up from the ground .not sure how friction could really come into it. but as they grow very fast maybe friction is to play but i doubt it . more likely they got some of the plastic coated wire that they need to sell off

I think it may be chaffing as in the rubbing as it moves in the wind rather than friction burns because it grows so fast

Well here it is.....
I can't get it up at the moment as It's a bit big. :grin: I'm having a few mates come round to help me with my erection this weekend, hopefully they will get it up for me :lol:

IMAGE_186.jpg

IMAGE_187.jpg

I don't know why everything ends up so big??? I need a 3m tape measure not the 10m one I have!

My erection got up this evening but was to dark to take photo's. I will take some in the glory of the morning! :lol:

Latest posts

Back