Beaverdale kit help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uksoundz

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not having much luck with this brewing but I started a beaverdale Shiraz 6 bottle kit.
It's been fermenting 2 days and got in today to a horrible rotten egg smell in the room coming from the wine, also the airlock wasn't bubbling, I recon air was escaping somewhere because when I messed with the lid the airlock is now going ten to the dozen.

I was using a pet demijohn.

Now, is there anyway I can save this? I have a glass demijohn I could siphon into?

Did you use nutrient if the answer is no this is would explain the smell, you need to add some.

CO2 is produced during fermentation and it protects the wine, some people just lay the lid on top of the bucket and it works fine, i would be very surprised if a non fitting lid has ruined it.

It's a beaverdale kit, so I just added everything from that, don't recall seeing nutrient.
I've got some coming through the post hopefully tomorrow so I can use that.
Is it worth siphoning into the glass Demi?

That will teach me to skin posts, i would imagine the yeast already had it mixed in, a teaspoon wont harm, i would not rack it it wont get rid of the smell, wait until its finished it will probably have gone by then.

Argh! Just gone out and when j got back in the airlock has stopped bubbling!
It's still fermenting as I can hear it fizzing away.
Is this normal in a plastic demijohn?

I have a young FV that is airtight, the cheaper one I have just bought is not and although it's bubbling I am not getting much action in the airlock, I would not mess with it wait until it has stopped bubbling then use a hydrometer to make sure.

Update: the rotten egg smell is now long gone, the airlock is bubbling away roughly once every 10 seconds so all seems well.
I've just started a WOW with Apple juice and a wine buddy 30 bottle Sauvignon blanc.
Gonna struggle being sober this Christmas if they all turn out well haha.

OK this is day 7 of the Beaverdale Shiraz 6 bottle kit.
The airlock is only bubbling roughly once every 15 seconds and it's never really been any quicker. Is it normal for fermentation to be this calm?
I'm doing a wine buddy kit and the airlock is going 10 to the dozen (and it's only been 2 days) also I've a WOW on the go and even this is pretty vigorous!
Hopefully I'm worrying over nothing.

I would not worry about a slow fermentation or slow airlock activity, CO2 may be escaping through the seal as well as the airlock making it look slower than it is, as long as its keeps going its fine.

Back