What Hop

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done Citra + Simcoe before. Works well.

Also, Citra + Nelson Sauvin (maybe half the amount of Nelson as it's intense). Gets you into Opal Fruits territory.

Other options are using a different bittering hop like Chinook, and then using more of the Citra towards the aroma end of additions.

I've done Citra + Simcoe before. Works well.

Also, Citra + Nelson Sauvin (maybe half the amount of Nelson as it's intense). Gets you into Opal Fruits territory.

Other options are using a different bittering hop like Chinook, and then using more of the Citra towards the aroma end of additions.

Thanks for that think i will use Simcoe :thumb:

Im new to brewing and after a clone attempt on my 3rd batch that didnt turn out so well ive gone back to basics...

Sticking with a style and changing an ingredient at a time every brew.
Ive been working through the popular hops and cascade is my favourite for aroma and taste!

I don't use citra for bittering. Simcoe is an excellent bittering hop.

Are you going to dry-hop too?

Yes i will be dry hopping, not sure on the amounts yet but more than likely it will be something mad :grin:

And tomorrow a first for me i will be making a lager with Lublin Hops

Used 30g of Simcoe @60
10g Simcoe and Citra @30
10g Simcoe and Citra @15
10g Simcoe and Citra @ Flameout

Sneaky little taste of this brew and its looking good but facing a dilemma ! its tasting and smelling nice and hoppy so far, but i do want a big hop aroma, so the question is how much to dry hop? i have not used this hop combo before so have no idea

Sneaky little taste of this brew and its looking good but facing a dilemma ! its tasting and smelling nice and hoppy so far, but i do want a big hop aroma, so the question is how much to dry hop? i have not used this hop combo before so have no idea

Depends on the volume - 10L batch - 20g Citra Dry Hop for 10 days for 20L I would go with 30g Citra.

10 days? never dry hopped over 5 days lol, and just Citra no Simcoe? dont think il bother with ten days tbh
TBH I generally just leave the dry hops in the corny keg in a muslin bag till all the beer is gone...

I'd try going in with both.

For 20L odd, I'd generally be looking in the 50-100g range, but it's all down to taste....

Decided! i was going to have a big dry hop and i still am, yourself and Clibit has helped me make my mind up, so its going to be 50g Simcoe and 30 g of Citra Thanks guys :thumb:

In truth you can't go too far wrong. It is indeed all about personal taste - remember you can add more dry hops at any time (before bottling) with very low risk of infection, what you can't do is un-add them.:thumb:

In truth you can't go too far wrong. It is indeed all about personal taste - remember you can add more dry hops at any time (before bottling) with very low risk of infection, what you can't do is un-add them.:thumb:

I just did not want to over add, only used Citra a few times and have read people referring it to cats pee

I just did not want to over add, only used Citra a few times and have read people referring it to cats pee

now lets be honest - who has ever drunk cats pee? - smelt if perhaps but surely not drunk it :sick:

I've found citra to be a bit woody on occasion, much prefer galaxy & amarillo as a combination..

ps. steve im ready to send you my galaxy amarillo and pallisade brew.

pm me your details before we drink it all :-)

Latest posts

Back