Home Brew Company AG beer kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received my BIAB starter kit a few weeks ago,complete with a recipe for Exceedingly good IPA.I`m very happy with the grains etc and the equipment....
I`ve done quite a few tinned kit brews and only 2 of Clibit`s small BIABs which were excellent as the instructions were 10/10.
The instructions that came with the kit were a nightmare!
I blagged it through(I think).I ended up with 20 litres with OG 1042.I`m going to order another kit but I found these instructions on their website which look a lot easier for a newbie like me...I think?

Technique:

1. Bring 26 litres of water to 70ºC in your boiler with your mashing bag in place.
2. Add the grain content of the recipe to the bag in the boiler and check temperature (ensure the bag is not touching the element).
3. Stir the grain in the bag to ensure there are no dough balls.
4. Check the temperature, making sure the mash is between 65 - 69 ºC, adjust as necessary.
5. Mash the grain for the required time in the recipe, 60 to 90 minutes usually.
6. Ensure the mash is kept between the optimum temperature for the duration of the mash.
7. Heat approximately 6 litres of water to 80 ºC.
8. When the mash is complete, remove the bag of grain and rinse it with a portion of the 6 litre of 80 ºC water. Only use the amount of this sparge water that will bring the wort from the mash up to the target boil volume. The target boil volume is approximately 27 litres.
9. Bring the wort to the boil and add the hops at the appropriate times.
10. After the boil cool the wort using the wort chiller and transfer the wort to the fermenter.
11. Add the yeast and leave to ferment.

I`ll order another kit and follow the above this time.

Yep, I think these instructions are fairly easy to follow.

This assumes, of course, that you basically know what you are doing and why you are doing it.

BIAB is AG brewing just a different method. BIAB uses just one pot and a grain bag (as well as a fermenter) whereas the other 'system' 3 vessel/2 vessel uses a mash tun, a boiler and fermenter

Great bit of reading there clibit. Over 70% prefer BIAB. I'll stick with it for a while and upgrade to gas when I get a large ss pot at a reasonable price as I found a good gas burner at work. Thanks for all the opinions guys and keep them coming.

I received my BIAB starter kit a few weeks ago,complete with a recipe for Exceedingly good IPA.I`m very happy with the grains etc and the equipment....
I`ve done quite a few tinned kit brews and only 2 of Clibit`s small BIABs which were excellent as the instructions were 10/10.
The instructions that came with the kit were a nightmare!
I blagged it through(I think).I ended up with 20 litres with OG 1042.I`m going to order another kit but I found these instructions on their website which look a lot easier for a newbie like me...I think?

Technique:

1. Bring 26 litres of water to 70ºC in your boiler with your mashing bag in place.
2. Add the grain content of the recipe to the bag in the boiler and check temperature (ensure the bag is not touching the element).
3. Stir the grain in the bag to ensure there are no dough balls.
4. Check the temperature, making sure the mash is between 65 - 69 ºC, adjust as necessary.
5. Mash the grain for the required time in the recipe, 60 to 90 minutes usually.
6. Ensure the mash is kept between the optimum temperature for the duration of the mash.
7. Heat approximately 6 litres of water to 80 ºC.
8. When the mash is complete, remove the bag of grain and rinse it with a portion of the 6 litre of 80 ºC water. Only use the amount of this sparge water that will bring the wort from the mash up to the target boil volume. The target boil volume is approximately 27 litres.
9. Bring the wort to the boil and add the hops at the appropriate times.
10. After the boil cool the wort using the wort chiller and transfer the wort to the fermenter.
11. Add the yeast and leave to ferment.

I`ll order another kit and follow the above this time.

I've bought the starter kit as well (boiler,chiller) I think it's great value and have been thinking of going AG for a while but I always thought it was to long a job until I read clibit's post and tried it. When the boiler came I had a go at a small batch but then realised that I needed a hop filter on the tap so the good old bloke at cooper kettle fitted me a new tap and hop filter I'm now ready to go. I done one without filter and ended up with a jug scooping out the wort. Not used the AG kit that came with it yet but looking forward to doing a full brew

Is that a peco boiler? You can get a false bottom for that.. If you cool the wort down and let it settle would that not help strain the hops? whether you used the tap or siphoned ???

Is that a peco boiler? You can get a false bottom for that.. If you cool the wort down and let it settle would that not help strain the hops? whether you used the tap or siphoned ???

Just seen the false bottom on GeterBrewed for £10.Think I`ll add that to my next order.
Cheers

Yes it is peco boiler. Don't know about false bottom but could be a good idea I'm happy with the hop filter.

Latest posts

Back