Vacuum packer help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is my 2nd year of growing hops so am looking forward to getting more than the 5gms I got last year.
I don’t think I’ve got any problems with drying the hops, it’s the storage I‘m concerned about.
From reading posts on the Forum it seems that “industrial” standard vacuum packers + impervious bags are recommended, this is where I need help.
Using Google I am overwhelmed by choice, but there appears to be no mention of impervious or foil type bags.
I would really prefer not to use ebay.
Any advice will be gratefully received.

I use one of these from Bags Of Freshness It does what it's supposed to, and had no difficulty vaccing 5 or 6 Kilos in one go last year . . .plus all my speciality grain.

What I really should have done was get one of these Eiffels. . . .Still want one . .so If you want to buy second hand make me an offer for mine ;) . . . its had quite low use really :whistle:

This thread has a bit more research

I don't bother with Foil bags but use these from Culinary Innovations . . . and store my hops in the freezer.

Aleman
Many thanks for your Info, URL, thread and second hand offer.
I think I am going to go for the one that you "really" want, it's just the choice of bags now.
I use hops in 60 & 30gm lots, would you bag in these weights or bag in larger quantities?

I do like this friendly helpful Forum!

I bag in a variety of weights . . . mostly 125g using the 15 by 13 bags which is a tight fit . . . I also have some of the 20cm rolls which I bag 250g lots in. . . . If you leave a large tail on the roll type 'bag' you can open the bag (cut off the sealing strip) take out what you need and reseal it . . . I also use the 20 by 30 bags as well . . . and once I have used up all the 15 by 30 bags I will standardise on 20 by 30 bags and 20 cm rolls . . . 20 by 30 are just about OK for bagging 500g of speciality malts ;)

Thanks Aleman, food for thought.
I can see trial and error coming my way, more good experimental fun. :D

I bagged my hops in 50g in 15 by 22 bags. It was a right pain in the behind. bags were too small for my hand so had to pour the dried hops in and they just staticed to the sides so sealling was a pain. Will use 20 by 30's this year.

Latest posts

Back