Beer Kit Brewing.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of the premium two can kits seem to be overpriced on tescos site even a sale leaves them more expensive than online brew shops?
Wherry may be an exception
Chances are they are being sold by one of Tesco's partners not Tesco itself. If you haven't bought from them before Tesco sales occur every 2 months or so it seems and give 20-25% discounts on some of their stuff including Coopers and Youngs kits. The last sale was two months ago.

Well I've just went to check in my wilko wheat beer that I started on Thursday to find it had blown the kid open and gone through the airlock, lid swapped an new airlock in, hope this works

Brilliant write up terrym, I think anyone looking to start brewing should be pointed to this post. It's clear, concise and straight to the point and if followed to the letter would give a complete beginner a very nice beer to drink in as little as four or five weeks after starting.........And then we've got them for life .:lol:
Thankyou LarryF and all others who have posted similar words of encouragement.

Well I've just went to check in my wilko wheat beer that I started on Thursday to find it had blown the kid open and gone through the airlock, lid swapped an new airlock in, hope this works
If it's not died down yet just crack the FV lid slightly and place a towel over that area to mop up any spillage. Then when the krausen recedes just reseal the lid.

If it's not died down yet just crack the FV lid slightly and place a towel over that area to mop up any spillage. Then when the krausen recedes just reseal the lid.

Seems ok at the min, steady bubbles but nothing mad, if it gets any faster I'll do that, thanks for the tip [emoji106]

I started off doing 1 gallon batches of all grain biab style but had mixed results. So decided to try some kits and full 5 gallon brews. I have a Woodfordes wherry conditioning and a coopers stout priming in a pressure barrel. Initial testing of both are fantastic and has converted me to kits for now. I have a fermbrew grand cru waiting to be started with some homemade candi sugar :-)

The quality of the kits nowadays is simply outstanding and should not be knocked.

Second blowout now, not as bad as last night so cracking lid and covering with a towel

Just getting to the end of my brew day.

Got a festival landlords best.

Impressed with the kit to be fair, and the instructions seems good

The quality of the kits nowadays is simply outstanding and should not be knocked.

I had a pint of Belhaven, Old Gold, Whisky aged ale, down the pub today and it wasn't anything to write home about. Heck, I have brewed ale that taste better than that from kit.

It is very much in the eye of the beholder ones own tastebuds.

That said, not being a brewmaster or connoisseur at all, just like ale and homebrew. I'm very shocked how easy it is to brew a very drinkable beer, in a pot in the corner of my kitchen. Mix water with syrup, sprinkle flavoring on top, leave it be for a few weeks, bottle, leave it again for a while and then enjoy. The lass call it pot noodle brewing :)

I have brewed a few I didn't like so much, but guest drinkers have rated and enjoyed them. I have brewed a few that have knocked the socks of me and the guest - simply couldn't believe it was a kit.

The only problem I've found with kit brewing is the wait. I did a basic Coopers stout just as instructions stated and after bottling gave it a month before starting to drink it. Nearly 3 months after bottling and only 14 bottles left from that batch it tastes better day by day. Interesting lesson I've learned, leave it 3 months before drinking.
I've got a brew that will be 3 month old just before Christmas and one that will be 3 month old by new years eve. Going to do another one tomorrow so February is sorted and as I go through about 2 bottles per day I'm going to do a brew every 2 weeks. I might need more bottles and need to build more crates.

Latest posts

Back