stuck woodfordes brew.. again, but with a difference

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildmanbrew

Reaction score
Ok so after taking advice from the forum i swapped out the yeast from my woodfordes nog kit for a pack of safale s04. After preparing the wort i rehydrated the yeast and drizzled it across the surface of the aerated wort. For the first 36 hours the bubbles in the airlock were flowing fast but then it slowed to a crawl. Its been in the FV at 18c +/- 1 for 10 days now, ive just taken a sample and measured at 1.020 from a sg of 1.042. Since the bubbles slowed i have on occasion turned the FV gently back and forth as suggested to get a little more of the yeast into suspension.
The wort/beer looks smells and tastes fine with no signs of infection. Just some small brown yeast floaters which were also present in my previous wherry brew.

Im thinking at this point i should leave it for a couple of days then take another sample and measure. If measure is the same should i just accept it and keg-prime-clear or add the yeast i took from the kit to see if i can restart it?

All suggestions welcome
Cheers Steve

Usual advice I suppose; give it a gentle stir to resuspend the yeast but don't get any air in, move into a warmer place say 22*C. Don't rely on your airlock activity, your FV lid may leak, I usually seal off the lid of my FV with cling film round the edges after the primary has died down, and it's surprising how the bubble rate increases.
And I guess you have nothing to lose by trying the original yeast. With usual precautions about keeping things clean etc, I would hydrate in 100ml cooled boiled water in a jug at about 22*C for about 1/2 hour in the warm covered with cling film, then add two tsp sugar and stir well in to dissolve, then leave for about one hour covered in the warm before you pitch.
Then leave it alone for a day or three to see if it's made any difference. If its still at 1.020, unless anyone else has any ideas, you may as well bottle it, but use at least one PET bottle so that you can check the carbonation in the bottles in case it does get going again.

As TerryM said - only thing I'd add is 100-200g of sugar dissolved in a little water stirred in, a lot of the fermentables are already used up so the yeast will need all the help it can get.

Latest posts

Back