Any use for spent grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been putting mine on the compost heap, but this weekend I spotted a rat lurking next to it. Rethink needed...

I've been putting mine on the compost heap, but this weekend I spotted a rat lurking next to it. Rethink needed...

Just get yourself a cheap shotgun and blast the rats. Dusk is the best time for them to come out. Shoot one and you'll not see another for a good day or so.

Just get yourself a cheap shotgun and blast the rats. Dusk is the best time for them to come out. Shoot one and you'll not see another for a good day or so.

Sounds like a plan. I'll nail the corpses to the gatepost as a warning to other varmints. Including the kids.

I really like rats. When the children were growing up, they were the one small animal I approved of as pets. Wonderful creatures - very intelligent for their size. And so friendly! They'd dive down your shirt, wriggle around inside, then pop out either the cuff or the collar & say "here I am". Never did they pee or defecate inside anyone's clothing! Brilliant wee pets.

They had another benefit, too. The didn't live very long - 3 years max. So, this taught the kids about life and death realities. Also, you weren't left with a complete nuisance hanging around for years. Great!

But then, moving further into the country & keeping chickens, I found that they were even better! Our dogs loved them (well, biting them anyway...:) )
Oh, and you don't need a firearms licence - a full-power .22 airgun will just blow a rat into the weeds. My problem was getting the dog to keep quiet when I got the gun out & not scaring the rat away! I find that garden bird feeders are great for attracting them & keeping them still whilst you take aim.

I make bread with the grain. Replace 1 cup of flour with a cup of the grain and reduce the water a little and it comes out well. I tend to go with a simple white, spelt or rye bread recipe.

Claymores. Best fun I've ever had with rats. Teach the little s**ts to eat my kids guinea pigs....blew the **** out of the garage wall but it was worth it.

I've just put 50 grams of spent grains into a loaf I'm making. I probably could have put in a bit more, but just wanted to try it out. It's not made much of a dent in my used grain bill though.

Here's today's post brew loaf with spent grains. 1.5K weight and I only added 50g's of grain. I'll add another 75 grams next time. Tastes good!

2016-03-09%2018.30.36.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2016-03-09%2020.20.04.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Now THAT is a nice looking crust. I think I'll try the same myself new t brew... Sorry hens, you're on reduced portions.

Is there anything historical that they used to use spent grain for? I expect it would be for bread - which looks fantastic by the way.

It should be possible to dry it then remove more of the husk before mixing with new grain if you were milling it for bread or cereal.

Maybe this is what they make Special K out of :lol:

Pulled a couple of small loaves out of the oven about an hour ago, baked with some spent grain and local brewery yeast, they look and smell wonderful. :party:

If I can grab me daughter I'll get her to take a pic when I cut for breakfast.

Here's today's post brew loaf with spent grains. 1.5K weight and I only added 50g's of grain. I'll add another 75 grams next time. Tastes good!

2016-03-09%2018.30.36.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2016-03-09%2020.20.04.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That reminds me of the No Knead bread recipe floating around the net. Looks fantastic. I should try it as been composting all mine. Does work well though.

Do you need new bread yeast?

If you have some brewers yeast floating around would that work?

I can't imagine people in the 1700's using different types of yeast if they made their own beer and bread.

yes bread yeast is a modern thing, my last three loaves have been with brewers yeast, it really brings out the flavour of the bread.

That reminds me of the No Knead bread recipe floating around the net. Looks fantastic. I should try it as been composting all mine. Does work well though.

I developed my method from Dan Lepard's 'Home Made Loaf'. Very minimal kneading and long slow fermentation. Bread baking probably has as many 'myths' attached to the process as brewing does. The whole kneading for 20 minutes then leave in a warm place for an hour that you read in nearly all bread books isn't entirely necessary.

Dan had a fantastic Bread forum back in the day, but unfortunately it no longer exists.

Do you need new bread yeast?

If you have some brewers yeast floating around would that work?

I can't imagine people in the 1700's using different types of yeast if they made their own beer and bread.

The modern trendy 'sourdough' was the original method of raising bread - Natural fermentation using the yeasts present on the milled grain. The whole sourdough scene is kind of misleading, because the bread isn't necessarily sour. Done well, it's just good bread and the method used for thousands of Years.

Yep i noticed its not really sour. Its Lacto Bacillus and normal yeast i think. Mrs tried to make it and it didnt work so told here to use beer yeast. I wonder if you used hef yeast would get the flavour coming through. Here is the link for the No knead if anyone is interested. http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread
Am guessing you don't make this bread with dark grains?

Latest posts

Back