What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight was an impromptu Zombie Dust clone, and last night was a mead, a cherry wine and a peach wine. I also had my first go at kegging in cornies. So much easier than bottling!

Another new recipe I’ve been working on done today. I only kegged the FS on Thursday and I couldn’t wait to fill it again.

Today I did a mega hopped, dark red and malty rye IPA. About 20% rye with using pale and crystal rye. Caragold and English caramalt, with Golden promise.

Hopped up to 60IBU’s @6.3% ABV with Columbus, Citra, and Galaxy. I will be dry hopping with the same again plus Victoria secret.

I double pitched two packets of US05 just to be on the safe side.

As this is a first time with the recipe I can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another new recipe I’ve been working on done today. I only kegged the FS on Thursday and I couldn’t wait to fill it again.

Today I did a mega hopped, dark red and malty rye IPA. About 20% rye with using pale and crystal rye. Caragold and English caramalt, with Golden promise.

Hopped up to 60IBU’s @6.3% ABV with Columbus, Citra, and Galaxy. I will be dry hopping with the same again plus Victoria secret.

I double pitched two packets of US05 just to be on the safe side.

As this is a first time with the recipe I can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds awesome. I love rye and red together with fruity hops. My amber that I'm brewing has 10% flaked rye and the late and dry hop is all Hallertauer Blanc which is a new one for me but supposedly lots of fruit but also some lemongrass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made 21 litres of what I'm hoping will be a Jaipur clone.

5.44 Kg Maris Otter
.680 Kg Vienna Malt

Magnum for bittering and then Ahtanum, Centennial & Chinook for aroma and taste.

Pre boil gravity of 1.055 and OG of 1.066

I've used Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast

Fingers crossed it comes out ok.

brewed a bulldog evil dog DIPA :)

first time using a swamp cooler to keep it constant. couldnt explain why.. but i have very high hopes (might be due to the 5L of homebrew me and the mrs drank ha)

This is todays effort, I'm going to use the North Downs as a hop tea and the Cascade UK for a dry hop 5 days before bottling. I'm going to give it 3 weeks to ferment and I'll be using a pack of Wilko Gervin that I've been holding in case of emergencies. Although I'm tempted to throw in two packs of Coopers yeast that I've got left over from previous brews just for old times. I might toss a coin when the wort's at pitching temp. The beauty is that I bottled a couple of weeks ago so it's an easy day today.

Just want to say thanks for the advice regarding my brew a couple of posts back. My beer is fermenting away, airlock steadily bubbling :)

Fingers crossed it turns out ok.

Expecting very little from my first ever brew which is bottled and conditioning, started this American Oaked Rum Ale from a kit. Hoping for good things.
Only problem is I did add 2 ltrs too much cold water. I don't know how this will effect?
If only I could follow basic instructions...

Expecting very little from my first ever brew which is bottled and conditioning, started this American Oaked Rum Ale from a kit. Hoping for good things.
Only problem is I did add 2 ltrs too much cold water. I don't know how this will effect?
If only I could follow basic instructions...

Two liters to a brew of 20 liters? Means the ABV will be 10% lower, so no 7% but 6.3%. Ish. And the taste might be a bit less. But it's your first brew, it will be beer and it will be nice. You're improving already :thumb:

Already got ideas for your next brew?

Two liters to a brew of 20 liters? Means the ABV will be 10% lower, so no 7% but 6.3%. Ish. And the taste might be a bit less. But it's your first brew, it will be beer and it will be nice. You're improving already :thumb:

Already got ideas for your next brew?
In this Oaked Rum kit was wood chips. These were added with the extract. How do i remove this from the fermented beer before bottling? I assume some sort of filter is required. But nothing is mentioned in the instructions. Or should it all just sink to the bottom? I will be transfering it to a second bucket to add the priming suger, then bottling.

Syphon it off to the bottling bucket with a bit of muslin tied over the end of the syphon tube. (I use a small plastic tie-wrap to hold the muslin on the end of the tube and then dip the end in boiling water to sanitise it before use.)

Next time use one of the filters shown in the photograph. They are available from here ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M74BJW3/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's easier to control the end of the syphon if you use a bit of copper tubing instead of the plastic one. (Remember to cut a notch in the bottom of the tube so that the brew can flow into the tube.)

Last edited by a moderator:
In this Oaked Rum kit was wood chips. These were added with the extract. How do i remove this from the fermented beer before bottling? I assume some sort of filter is required. But nothing is mentioned in the instructions. Or should it all just sink to the bottom? I will be transfering it to a second bucket to add the priming suger, then bottling.

The word you're looking for is 'sediment blocking cap'. See here for how it might look.
If it sinks to the bottom, that cap will keep most, if not all, of the trub out of the siphon, and the bottles. I've never worked with wood chips, but I assume they saturate and sink.

Just finished bottling my brown porter...tastes great!
Maltmiller delivery tomorrow but back to work....fv empty...got a John Bull traditional ale kit and a coopers dark malt....sub the yeast out with a Wilko gervin. ..sounds like a plan!
Thrashed the above mentioned together and now sampling me devil's backbone clone...only the one mind!
The John Bull is bubbling like a good ‘un! Malt miller order arrived...very impressed with the packaging too!

Last edited:
Bit of a Mash up today.
4.5kg Maris Otter
300g Munich
200g Rolled Oats
Citra Hops
Using CML Pale Ale Yeast for the first time.
Aiming for 22l in FV.

Third go at a sort-of Cornish Tin Miners Ale from GH book.

Maris Otter 4.9kg
Wheat 220g
Crystal 40 500g
Biscuit 250g

First Gold to bitter 48g
Bramling X 18g plus 17g @ 15m and 5m
Safale S 04.

Nice, glitch-free brew day today.Gave the mash a big stir after 5 mins and then again after 35 mins. Total mash time more like 70 mins than 60.
Good efficiency again in the mid 70's with the stirred mash and a slow sparge.

Latest posts

Back