coopers blushing blonde.too sweet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any experience with Cooper kits, but it sounds like there are still fermentables left. What fermentable did you use (incl possible berries)? Even though it does sound like a sweet-ish beer.

Some berries, especially blue berries and raspberries have some hard to ferment sugars in them. They will be metabolized by the yeast, it just takes longer. Due to the low SG I did figure it would've done so already, but nothing is 100% guaranteed whilst fermenting.

Description;
Blushing Blonde
(23 Litres)
Adding berries to beer is a traditional brewing method, dating back centuries. Your favourite berries in the supermarket frozen section, may be added to a brew, imparting delicious aromas, flavours and a little bit of colour. Presenting in a similar way to a blush sparkling wine, it looks great served in a champagne flute! This recipe is for the more adventurous brewer, looking for flavours and aromas, not normally linked with beer. Expect the yeast to ferment the natural berry sugars as normal, with Brew Enhancer 1 contributing body to the brew.
Ingredients
1.7kg Canadian Blonde
1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1
500g Frozen Berries (of your choice)
Coopers Carbonation Drops*

That might be the cause, give them a bit more time. It will become less sweet, but the sweetener in raspberry will stay in there. With a bit of luck most will break down.

That might be the cause, give them a bit more time. It will become less sweet, but the sweetener in raspberry will stay in there. With a bit of luck most will break down.
I would add that its been kegged for only 11 days and brewed to 23 litres with 4 litres going to bottle,but as yet far far too sweet

Haha with a bit more time I meant a couple of weeks, not 11 days. Still, with 1.005 I'd expect it to be less sweet if you only used 300gr raspberries. Do you happen to recall the brand of raspberries? I just wondered, maybe they added artificial sweeteners (yes, they sometimes tend to do that with frozen fruit to make them a bit less acidic).

Haha with a bit more time I meant a couple of weeks, not 11 days. Still, with 1.005 I'd expect it to be less sweet if you only used 300gr raspberries. Do you happen to recall the brand of raspberries? I just wondered, maybe they added artificial sweeteners (yes, they sometimes tend to do that with frozen fruit to make them a bit less acidic).
I think they were my local heron store but that said the keg is still behind the next in line for drinking,hopefully it will mellow out but if not its a blending job as noway is it going down the drain

If it fails I'm pretty sure you can make a nice girly drink for the misses. And you can always make a shandy-ish drink if it's still really sweet.

I can understand that if there's still some sugar/glucose sweetness in a normal brew, but wouldn't hopping the hell out of a raspberry brew make it a Frankensteiner? I'm not too convinced that would turn out well considering the quite dominant aroma and flavor of raspberries.

Latest posts

Back