The Budget 2017

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, that's it, no change to normal policy of ...

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.​

One highlight is that Land Rover (owned by an Indian Company since 2008) are apparently going to build a new super vehicle here in the UK.

This is great news ... :thumb:

... because with the deterioration of UK roads we will all soon need to be driving one! :whistle:

So, that's it, no change to normal policy of ...

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

I expected no less than this from the bunch of (please insert whatever expletive or expletives you feel like here) that we have in power at the moment. I'll be no richer after this apology for a Budget.
So I've just poured a bottle of, now rather fizzy - but rather nice, kit beer I must have made months ago but forgot about. But what the hell at least it tastes good!
Cheers

You want to see our roads m8! Just had to renew both drive shafts on our van cv joints trashed and split gaiters due to pot holes,,, Now definitely poorer:-(

It's bad enough having damaged vehicles from neglected road maintenance but in Newcastle where I live they have speed bumps ranging from 3 inches - 6 inches high on many roads which drastically reduce tyre wear and knock tracking out of alignment. not all are marked and one night I nearly took off when I hit a bump on an unlit road.

The councils actually spend money on these to damage peoples cars, what a waste.
Well at least petrol/deisel, road tax and more importantly BEER didn't get clobbered again

Our local council has decided to install speed bumps on our road this year. Thing is you can't go that fast anyway as it's full of pot holes. We live half way and I'm not lying, from our house to one end there will be 6 speeds bumps. But there must be around 200 holes. One large hole about 4Sq foot has been repaired about 4 times over the past year. The others have been left. One part of the road literally drops away and if you get stuck in it, it drags you towards the pavement.
They have worked a really crafty one to by dropping business rates for pubs by £1k if value under £100k. But then stuck 2p on a pint!
So probably a few more pubs closing.

"They have worked a really crafty one to by dropping business rates for pubs by �£1k if value under �£100k. But then stuck 2p on a pint!"

OOOH they snuck that one in didn't they, I saw the headlines summary saying no change in alcohol duties however on the BBC summary it then goes on to say " other than the pre planned expected rise in beer duty" This has put 2p on a pint of beer.

When was the last time anyone increased the price of anything by 2p? In reality pubs will take the opportunity to put the cost of beer up by 5- 10p as people do not want to mess about with pockets full of copper coins. So in all likelihood a 250 - 500% increase of the proposed rise of 2p in duty to line the pockets of large conglomerates.

"They have worked a really crafty one to by dropping business rates for pubs by ��£1k if value under ��£100k. But then stuck 2p on a pint!"

OOOH they snuck that one in didn't they, I saw the headlines summary saying no change in alcohol duties however on the BBC summary it then goes on to say " other than the pre planned expected rise in beer duty" This has put 2p on a pint of beer.

When was the last time anyone increased the price of anything by 2p? In reality pubs will take the opportunity to put the cost of beer up by 5- 10p as people do not want to mess about with pockets full of copper coins. So in all likelihood a 250 - 500% increase of the proposed rise of 2p in duty to line the pockets of large conglomerates.
Well! I missed that one - bugger! :doh:
All the more reason to brew at home :thumb:
Cheers

Well! I missed that one - bugger! :doh:
All the more reason to brew at home :thumb:
Cheers

I am not sure how they actually raise the price by 2p a pint.
Theoretically if the duty goes up 2p a pint then the brewer has to pay an extra £1.40 on a 9 gallon cask.
Assuming he pays this duty to the HMRC when it leaves the premises then all casks currently in pubs will be duty paid and therefore no price increase until new casks arrive.

It is probably appropriate for the brewer to add (at least) £1.40 to his cask price to the pub as he makes a small enough margin, then the publican who adds all of his running costs will add on 3-4 times as much again just because he can.

If I am correct then it could take a couple of more weeks or more before this rise is passed on to the customer ( or am I just being naive?)

If I am correct then it could take a couple of more weeks or more before this rise is passed on to the customer ( or am I just being naive?)

I love your logic ... :thumb:

... but I reckon that a lot of pubs will be raising their prices as early as this evening. :whistle:

They stuck another one in that no-one seems to have noticed. i.e. Increasing National Insurance contributions for the Self Employed.

First you make people work for themselves for little or no money by allowing and promoting "Zero Hours" contracts.

Then you con them into becoming "Self Employed" on the basis that Employers don't provide holiday pay, sickness benefits etc or pay their National Insurance contributions.

Then you claim that Self Employed people are somehow robbing the taxman because they pay a much lower rate of National Insurance. This is only half true! What is missing from the rhetoric is that the Self Employed also forfeit much of what the National Insurance system provides such as unemployment benefits and sick-pay; which is why they traditionally pay less!

So, by telling half-truths, you are able to whack up the National Insurance rate for these Self Employed National Insurance "dodgers"; that you created in the first place.

Neat eh? A crime that slips past everyone without comment. :doh:

Aren't business rates raising. A landlord of a pub in Shrewsbury said their rates are going up from 5k to 20k. That is massive. He said they will go out of business. He said they make 80p to £1 per £3.40 pint

Aren't business rates raising. A landlord of a pub in Shrewsbury said their rates are going up from 5k to 20k. That is massive. He said they will go out of business. He said they make 80p to �£1 per �£3.40 pint

Apparently today's Budget gives pub landlords a £1,000 sweetener if their Rateable Value is less than £100,000 a year.

I honestly think these cowboys think all pubs are something like The Rovers Return or The Woolpack. i.e. Thriving businesses that have loads of customers all buying each other rounds of drinks.

I doubt if many of them have ever visited a real pub outside of London.

It's bad enough having damaged vehicles from neglected road maintenance but in Newcastle where I live they have speed bumps ranging from 3 inches - 6 inches high on many roads which drastically reduce tyre wear and knock tracking out of alignment. not all are marked and one night I nearly took off when I hit a bump on an unlit road.

The councils actually spend money on these to damage peoples cars, what a waste.

Well at least petrol/deisel, road tax and more importantly BEER didn't get clobbered again

Don't forget the countries 2 most lucrative bus lane cameras (1.7million in 6 months) just to dig the boot in!

Also the idiotic 30mph average speed cameras on coast road aswell.

Am I a spoilt brat for getting angry about my new bin collection schedule.? Which is now once a fortnight.

Am I a spoilt brat for getting angry about my new bin collection schedule.? Which is now once a fortnight.

Let's not forget that they have closed or restricted the opening hours of dozens of recycling places as well.

Of course, the massive increase of fly-tipping is not linked to this "austerity measure". :whistle: :whistle:

Please remember "We are all in this together!". :lol: :lol: :lol:

If this is your general waste bin the theory is if you recycle properly there should not be much left to go in that bin, if you are recycling plastic, cans, paper/cardboard and glass other than food waste what goes in that bin?

Let's not forget that they have closed or restricted the opening hours of dozens of recycling places as well.

Of course, the massive increase of fly-tipping is not linked to this "austerity measure". :whistle: :whistle:

Please remember "We are all in this together!". :lol: :lol: :lol:

And then it costs millions more to clean it all up!
Our local health authority has two walk in centres to save stress on a&e, they are closing these down. But apparently that is going to cost around £150 million. I just think this government is running the country into the ground. Taking all the blame from central government, by placing most of what they controlled back to local authorities. But then cutting the local authority budget. Then they can say " look what we've done. The deficit has decreased " not realising, because they have no reality that the country is on its **** for the normal person living in reality.

unemployment down yes but why
its because you can only stay on the unemployment benefit for so long also if you can not prove you been looking for work you get kicked of that's why it look like unemployment is down

How much was the tax increase on Gin and Tonic? Hmmmmmm.
You do realise that as soon as they notice the massive increase in home brewing they'll put a tax on grain etc.

Brian

I reckon the goverment are asset stripping the country and soon enough absolutely everything will be privatised because they know at the moment there's no (percieved?) effective opposition so can do what they like. Soon the coroporations will own everything, even you! Welcome to the future - Do homebrewers dream of electric sheep?

Latest posts

Back