Home Brew Beer Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gareth_H

Reaction score
Hi

I am reading Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes. On page 56 under Using Malt Extract, it reads as if you can boil 10l but then expand up to 27.

It is not clear from reading how, am I misread this? Is it possible?

Gareth

Basically telling you that you can boil up a reduction similar to LME syrup where say at 10 litres you have an of of 1.070 which then can be diluted to 1.045 if that was your target at 23 litres.
There's so many ways that this can be achieved but it's relatively simple using BIAB method.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Don't know what recipie you are looking at doing. Lets for arguments sake say it says 2.5 kg of dry extract.You can boil 1/1.25 kilo to start with,add remaining amount 10 minutes from the end or the remainder can go straight into the FV and top up to 23 litres.I have done both ways,although with smaller batches.As Gerryjo said,there are diferent ways to achieve it.
Try using the recipe builder (at top of page) you can punch in extract and your amounts and go from there:thumb:

If you are boiling 10 litres of Malt Extract with hops in order to get bitterness it makes sense to whack in a load of cold water to serve three purposes:

1. As suggested above, it can drop the SG (and final ABV) to wherever you want.

2. Cold water blasted into the boiled extract will aerate the wort (which is essential for the yeast to perform properly).

3. The cold water will cool the wort ready for pitching the yeast.

Hope this clarifies the situation. :thumb:

Back