Challenger Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chub1

Reaction score
Have an all Challenger hop brew on the go.
Partial mash,biab..5 litre batch..70 min mash...10 min Dunk sparge.60 min boil
Pale/Lager/stout malt mix 750 grm ------------because that is what i have to use up
Light spray malt 125 grm------start boil
Crystal malt 120L 50 grm
Caramalt 20 grm
Carahell 25 grm
Buscuit malt 10 grm
Challenger pellets 7 grm 60 min
Challenger pellets 5 grm 15 min
1/4 protofloc tab 15 min
Challenger pellets 5 grm 5 min
Challenger pellets 8 grm turn off
1/2 pack CML US Pale re hydrated
SRM 10.71..IBU..41.65. OG 1.044.. Expected FG 1.008

My latest pale ale is a user upper. Mainly lager malt with some crystal,wheat and maybe some carapils. It has citra and cascade...and I'll tell you this...it won't last long!

My latest pale ale is a user upper. Mainly lager malt with some crystal,wheat and maybe some carapils. It has citra and cascade...and I'll tell you this...it won't last long!
Nice one. Yup have done a few of those 'use up' brews and all have been pretty good:thumb:

What kind of flavours can you expect to get from a single hop challenger brew?
Well that is a very good question. I have not copied the brew dog recipie,but got the idea from there. Guess very light citrus and light floral!
i hope:lol:

Well that is a very good question. I have not copied the brew dog recipie,but got the idea from there. Guess very light citrus and light floral!
i hope:lol:

Not really. I did a brew made with challenger only once. It's a lovely hop but not light or citrus/floral I dont think. I'm not good a describing flavours but it's kind of spicy noble hoppy, maybe green tea?.
I have a pack of 100g of challenger ready to use once I've used up my hallertau mittellfruah

Not really. I did a brew made with challenger only once. It's a lovely hop but not light or citrus/floral I dont think. I'm not good a describing flavours but it's kind of spicy noble hoppy, maybe green tea?.
I have a pack of 100g of challenger ready to use once I've used up my hallertau mittellfruah
Some say it's a really good single hop which just gives a slight orange note!. I really like them for bittering so fingers crossed!.Same as you ,i am pretty inept at describing some flavours.

Some say it's a really good single hop which just gives a slight orange note!. I really like them for bittering so fingers crossed!.Same as you ,i am pretty inept at describing some flavours.

It's defiantley a superb single hop (not sure about orange note, I didnt pick that out but I'm not very good at that kind of thing). When I bought some last time, I used almost all of it for bittering but did one batch as a challenger single hop steam beer. It was really nice. I did a steam beer with it because I had read it's good as a lager hop because of it's noble hop like qualities. It worked well

Mixed with EKG it gives that disctinctive old speckled hen taste. I plan to do both (single hop and mix with EKG) with this new pack

It's defiantley a superb single hop (not sure about orange note, I didnt pick that out but I'm not very good at that kind of thing). When I bought some last time, I used almost all of it for bittering but did one batch as a challenger single hop steam beer. It was really nice. I did a steam beer with it because I had read it's good as a lager hop because of it's noble hop like qualities. It worked well

Mixed with EKG it gives that disctinctive old speckled hen taste. I plan to do both (single hop and mix with EKG) with this new pack
Ok ta. Don't like OSH at all to be honest.
I do tend to use Challenger for pretty well all my brews,not all but most.
Might try the Cali Common with them as well.Trouble is i have so many brews written up to do,the list is getting silly long:lol:

Ok ta. Don't like OSH at all to be honest.
I do tend to use Challenger for pretty well all my brews,not all but most.
Might try the Cali Common with them as well.Trouble is i have so many brews written up to do,the list is getting silly long:lol:

That's ok because somehow when you mix EKG and challenger the taste completely changes and the resultant mix doesnt taste like EKG or challenger individually but something new (the OSH taste).

I use magnum as the bittering in almost all my brews

I stopped doing a list of 'to do' brews a long time ago as the list just gets longer and longer. I just think about what the next brew is depending on what I fancy at the time and what I have in stock

That's ok because somehow when you mix EKG and challenger the taste completely changes and the resultant mix doesnt taste like EKG or challenger individually but something new (the OSH taste).

I use magnum as the bittering in almost all my brews

I stopped doing a list of 'to do' brews a long time ago as the list just gets longer and longer. I just think about what the next brew is depending on what I fancy at the time and what I have in stock
To be honest i do like sitting and punching recipies through B/F, i then think oh that looks ok,print off the recipie sheet and write em up:doh::lol:

I hope you can come back and tell us how it turns out. I use Challenger for bittering like just about everyone else but then, like everyone else, I add EKG and/or Fuggles at the later stages and am always scratching my head as to what the Challenger did except to say that the bitterness is "nice". Hmm. The pack I have at the moment is 12.25% AA so if I only use it for bittering then it's going to be around a while yet!

I hope you can come back and tell us how it turns out. I use Challenger for bittering like just about everyone else but then, like everyone else, I add EKG and/or Fuggles at the later stages and am always scratching my head as to what the Challenger did except to say that the bitterness is "nice". Hmm. The pack I have at the moment is 12.25% AA so if I only use it for bittering then it's going to be around a while yet!
Mine are 8.5 and 6.5 which are the ones i used in the brew:)
I also think i tend to underhop somewhat in later additions,we shall see.If it turns out ok i will post it up as such.

The CML US Pale is chomping away at this like a goodun. Decided today to sling in some dry hop (challenger again) for 5 days.

Latest posts

Back