Lagunitas recipe - anybody brewed a clone before?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blinky

Regular.
Reaction score
I love Lagunitas and want to brew a clone.... I found various online recipes that all seem similar, usually the same grain bill but but some have centennial and other only cascade. Anyways today I was looking at the beer on RateBeer.com and the spiel on there from Lagunitas themselves, mentions 43 different hops! That’s a heck of a lot and I have never seen any home brew clones of this beer with anything more than 4 or 5 hops. Just wondered if anybody had cloned this beer and felt it was similar/the same as the original?
Here is my recipe:https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/576560/lagunitas
Here is where I got it from:https://byo.com/body/item/153-attack-of-the-hop-clones
And here is the rate beer page saying it has 43 hops..... https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/lagunitas-india-pale-ale-ipa/6887/

Not a style I enjoy. But I just looked at their site out of curiosity and it say 43 different hops and 65 different malts go into this beer. I think they must be have a bit of a laugh

If I you stick that many malts and hops together, surely you'll just end up with a kind of homogeneous product with no specific characteristics.

It's a joke.

"A well-rounded, highly drinkable IPA. A bit of Caramel Malt barley provides the richness that mellows out the twang of the hops.“

Cascade or Centennial, they are pretty similar. Even YCH hops describe Centennial as Super-Cascade.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

If you mean Lagunitas IPA, there's a recipe for it in Clone Brews volume 2 (Tess & Mark Szamatulski), and no it doesn't contain all that. :lol: For obvious reasons I'm not going to reproduce the recipe here for you I'm afraid (copyright and all that).

If you mean Lagunitas IPA, there's a recipe for it in Clone Brews volume 2 (Tess & Mark Szamatulski), and no it doesn't contain all that. [emoji38] For obvious reasons I'm not going to reproduce the recipe here for you I'm afraid (copyright and all that).
Would love to see all three actual recipes for Lagunitas IPA, Sierra Nevada Torpedo and Goose Island IPA. I bet there is very little difference in the recipes. Yet all different for being brewed on different kit. And why so difficult to clone exactly.

"Inspiration is the impact of a fact on a well-prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

Hmmm.

The Lagunitas IPA recipe in the book reckons Horizon for bittering, then

Willamette + Cascade

Centennial + Cascade

Centennial + Cascade

Then a dry hop of ......

Cascade + Centennial....

Almost like the authors switched the order to vary things a little.... :lol: Very few surprises in the malt bill.

As books go it's good, but annoying, as the recipes are given for extract, with the all grain given as an after thoughts. I've gotten used to books doing it the other way around in my brief time of reading them. :lol:

Latest posts

Back