Kenridge Classic or Winexpert Selection.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbin

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to buy either a Kenridge Classic Barolo kit or a Winexpert Selection Barolo any one tried these (not seen any reviews for Winexpert one). The KC seems to get good reviews but the WE Selection although more expensive has 18 litres of grape juice as opposed to the KC which has only 10 litres. Previously did a Beaverdale Barolo which although very nice tasted a bit thin to me (after 2 months in bottle).Any advise please.

The Kenridge Barolo is my staple kit these days. I must have made it a dozen times or more and its a consistently good red. I don't follow the (complicated) instructions anymore, i simply ferment out, stabilise, clear then bag/box and store to age for 3 months. Agree with the Beaverdale comment i tried that kit and thought the same.

Not tried the WE kit yet but I will be trying a CC kit in the new year, that one also has 7.5 l juice (same as Beaverdale).

This new 4 day kit appeared recently;
https://www.creativewinemaking.co.uk/punch-nebbiolo-30-bottle-wine-kit.html
Might try it for the fun of it but i don't have high expectations.

The WE is made by the same company as beaverdale so I imagine its likely the same stuff with more grapes.

I have used both kits but with different styles and I just about prefer the WE. The added extra juice is noticeable imho and produces a greater body. Is it worth the �£20 in cost not sure but when you spread that over the bottles it next to nothing.

Thanks for that gonna give the KC a go then maybe try a WE at a later date for more body .Like you say an extra £20 over 30 bottles is nothing.

This new 4 day kit appeared recently;
https://www.creativewinemaking.co.uk/punch-nebbiolo-30-bottle-wine-kit.html
Might try it for the fun of it but i don't have high expectations.

Old thread I know but I've got to ask.
Did you ever bother giving the punch kit a go? I'm thinking about having a punt myself but still have another kit to do once my fermenter is empty so it wouldn't be for a couple of months yet. I'm not bothered about the quick fermentation time, it'll be done when it's done but I'm curious as to if it's actually any good.
One of the other members here has done that particular kit and seemed quite happy with it but I'd like to get more than one opinion if possible

Cheers. Tom

Hi
I have done the Punch Nebbiolo kit and for the money it is comparable with CC Beaverdale kits in my opinion or not far short. Please ignore the 4 day ferment as usual makers optimism is way out I fermented for similar to the CC & Beaverdales but was surprised myself with the result. So for £1 a bottle give it a punt

Hi there.

You're the "other" member that I referred to as you'd posted in the thread I started about the punch kits.
Got a question for you.......
I've read that the Nebbiolo can be quite heavy on the tannin. How would you say it compares to the likes of a Cabernet Sauvignon?
I've never had a Nebbiolo. Had a look on the shelves in Asda while we were shopping this morning to get a bottle to try but couldn't find one :sad1:

Cheers Tom

Hi Tom I would say at the moment as it is young it is fruity and slightly stronger in depth of tannin but not overpowering

Whatever the wine snobs say it will never compete with the higher kits with 10 plus litres but at 7 litres of juice it will produce a drinkable wine. I too have not found a red wine I dont think is drinkable even the really cheap kits albeit they are more a rose/red and a little short brewing will give a quaffable everyday lighter drink

My last 6 bottle kit will vacate the demijohn next week so I've just ordered a cheeky 1 gallon Beaverdale Nebbiolo to give me a flavour of what to expect when I do order the punch kit.
Got a 5 gallon Harris Cabernet Sauvignon in the fermenter at the moment, have you ever tried it?

Cheers . Tom

@soupdragon

FYI - Nebbiola is the name that manucturers now use for Barollo, to get around the use of certified origin names.
Nebbiolo and Barollo are one and the same...

Latest posts

Back