Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Brewing Books & Publications > A Useful Resource: How To Brew, by John Palmer

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
Thumper

Liked 83 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Default A Useful Resource: How To Brew, by John Palmer

I just came across this, which seems to be a book that has been reproduced in it's entirety online. Seems a very useful resource for beginner brewers, like me; so I thought I'd share for my fellow newbies.

http://howtobrew.com/
geigercntr Likes This 
Old 03-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
MrN

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

It is an excellent book. I believe the online version is just the first edition but still very useful. I ended up buying the most recent version in book form because of it. It's a bit more up to date in a few areas, e.g. regarding advice on secondary fermentation etc.

I believe he's just brought out an even newer edition which has a significant amount added to it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Old 03-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
Norfolk79

Liked 118 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrN View Post
I believe he's just brought out an even newer edition which has a significant amount added to it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers for the heads up, just purchased it for my "library"

Conditioning
Ghost Ship Clone (Brewed 30/09/17)
Fermenting
Nothing

Planning

Mosaic SMASH
Citra SMASH
Mocha Porter

Old 03-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
Bigjas

Liked 213 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I have just purchased the 4th edition from Amazon. It's nearly 600 pages and full of interesting info. A very good book for beginners and experienced brewers in my opinion.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
photek1000

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Mine arrived today, an epic book in size and content, can't wait to dive into it fully.

Was just reading the preface in the kitchen and the Mrs wanders up, "What you doing?"

Er reading

I show her the book and get,

"Thought you knew how to brew?"

She'll never understand.......

Conditioning:
AG#2 Hobgoblin Style Ruby (Bottled) - might take a while, it's not bad but then again it isn't good , Slowly improving, very little carbination, bit to malty in flavour

Drinking:
Woodfordes Sundew + Falconers Flight Dry Hop (in PB#2)
AG#3 English Style IPA - Brew Date 29/5/17 - in PB#1 (11/6)

Yay, we're brewing again. - Up Next AG#4 - Brown Porter or a few short n shoddy Stove toppers (5L quick AG)

Old 08-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Slid
Forum Friend
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 967 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 963

Quote:
Originally Posted by photek1000 View Post
Mine arrived today, an epic book in size and content, can't wait to dive into it fully.

Was just reading the preface in the kitchen and the Mrs wanders up, "What you doing?"

Er reading

I show her the book and get,

"Thought you knew how to brew?"

She'll never understand.......
She never will!

For some sex-linked genetic reason, men do more weird things than women.
I explain this to my daughters simply - "nature takes its risks down the male line". That is essentially the difference. They both giggle and agree when I repeat this.

To return to the actual thread (please pardon me for off topic ramblings...)

The first version of John Palmer's book is worth reading. Every page and every word. There may well be more to learn around the subject of making beer, but if you know what is in the JP1 book, you are a long way to knowing enough to get by.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
YourBrew
Sponsor

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

How to Brew by John Palmer is deffinitelly the bible of America-based homebrewers and even professional brewers.

He regularly shows up to give lectures on Mexican and American beer fests. How to Brew is still a go-to guide for many people, and he has other books, like one on water that's also a must have.

On the women subject, maybe you can get them interested in beer and brewing with The Naked Pint, a book about beer and brewing wrote by two women. Is a very easy read, very informative about the history and styles of beer. It even has its own guide on how to taste beer.

I have some books on beer and I'm working on getting my library bigger, but some are ridiculously expensive! Would love to have a thread on beer books so we can discuss what have helped us and what made us more interested on beer.

You can get wholesale prices without wholesale order quantities - forever.

Limited Time. Limited Places.
BUY NOW OR MISS OUT

Click here for more info...

Old 07-08-2017, 10:19 AM   #8
Thumper

Liked 83 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 238

"How to Brew by John Palmer is deffinitelly the bible of America-based homebrewers and even professional brewers."

Do we have a UK-equivalent? Long-term, I'm really interested in trying traditional British styles.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:25 AM   #9
foxy

Liked 79 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Palmers book was my first book some years ago, definitely a good kick start into brewing. I have read many more books but Brewing better beer is the only book which has got my grey matter working and questioning the processes used in producing beer.
Old_P Likes This 
Old 27-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #10
tickleh

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default john palmer book

don't know if this book is still available online, has you say a new addition has come.Did try the bohemian pilsner which was very good.