Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Complete and Brewed Recipes > American Pale Ale Elvis Juice[s]

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #11
jceg316

Liked 220 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Good to see the results of this. I'm still planning to make one myself, maybe I'll mix the peel and the flesh. Could call it Elvis Flesh.

Old 19-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #12
nigelnorris
Beavis at Bat

Liked 211 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 48

One week in and opened a bottle of each last night. Just about carbed, still cloudy. Taste great. The zest version is slightly more bitter, the fruit version slightly more grapefruity, both slightly more of each than the shop bought version. Neither batch will last long I'm sure of that.

Next time [I've only just started on this version, but already I know that there will be a next time] I'll be using two grapefruits, taking away the pith, and lobbing the whole lot into the FV same time as the dry hops, probably muslin bagged. Will taste on a par with the real thing.

Highly recommended!

Old 19-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #13
Irishwizard

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nice one Nigel.bit strange that we are both doing the same thing at the same time.Based on your experience I may put some of the flesh in a couple of days before bottling. Ive got the rind soaking in vodka at present, Im just waiting for the fermentation to die back a bit before anymore additions

Old 23-08-2017, 04:05 PM   #14
nigelnorris
Beavis at Bat

Liked 211 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Oh here we go, an actual substantive difference between the two. z-Elvis is clear as a bell now after ten days. f-Elvis still looks like alcoholic pond water. I'm sure it will clear in time but there you go, if you want something to look nice and drink quickly, leave the fruit out.

Old 27-08-2017, 11:21 AM   #15
Irishwizard

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelnorris View Post
Oh here we go, an actual substantive difference between the two. z-Elvis is clear as a bell now after ten days. f-Elvis still looks like alcoholic pond water. I'm sure it will clear in time but there you go, if you want something to look nice and drink quickly, leave the fruit out.
Right Nigel, here goes. My brew had half a GF rind at 5 days and the other half at 10 days. (10L brew) Just cracked a bottle and very nice indeed, considering it will need a few weeks in the bottle to mature. I consider it a success.
nigelnorris Likes This