Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Brewdays! > Brewnight: Strawberry and Lime TC

Old 01-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #21
Vinotinto

Liked 77 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
Tried one of mine tonight and damn... it's flat as a witches tit as well.

I have a theory though.. this had happened a couple of times lately where I have left the brew in the primary after it's finished fermenting for longer than I usually do.

I'm only talking about an extra 10 days or so, but it's the difference between it being cloudy, and clear, when bottling.

My theory is that it's yeasties trapped in the cloudy one that kick off a nice 2nd ferment to make a fizzy brew.

Looking back at my previous attempts, this stacks up.

Just to prove it I'm gonna stick on exactly the same recipe but bottle as soon as it hits SG 1.000

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
+1 on this. I have only made 3 TCs . The first was fine, the next two were both left longer and was reasonably clear in dj when bottled. Both seem to have suffered the same 'mammarial' experience that you describe!

I know I mentioned it elsewhere but some of the youtube vids clearly refer to this being an issue. My second batch only went to 1.002 so at that late stage maybe a few grains of yeast with the priming may help?

Old 01-06-2017, 08:10 AM   #22
Roddy

Liked 329 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Hmm... I'll probably avoid adding yeast (even a little) at priming stage, my fear (haha) is that it might do the trick with the fizzy, but leave a yeasty aftertaste/residue. That be total bobbins but if a theory is worth making up, then I'm sticking to it 😂

Will try and get another one on before the weekend to test it out !

Edit..
Looking back at the cherry one I did before this one, and same symptoms. The one before cherry was rhubarb and that was slightly over fizzed, but bottled 8 days after the start.

Condng: 4L of Mead (Sep-16)
Drinking: Various WOWS , Cherry TC,
Next up: Rhubarb TC, WGJ/Strawberry WOW

All me recipes at:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqD9OOcGhwesm0Sn3Uv3VMozWHVS

Old 01-06-2017, 08:32 AM   #23
pvt_ak

Liked 256 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
Hmm... I'll probably avoid adding yeast (even a little) at priming stage, my fear (haha) is that it might do the trick with the fizzy, but leave a yeasty aftertaste/residue. That be total bobbins but if a theory is worth making up, then I'm sticking to it

Will try and get another one on before the weekend to test it out !

Edit..
Looking back at the cherry one I did before this one, and same symptoms. The one before cherry was rhubarb and that was slightly over fizzed, but bottled 8 days after the start.

Must give that Rhubarb and Ginger 5 star baby a go at some point. Morrisons keep letting me down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #24
Vinotinto

The only other consistent difference between the batches was that I used your recommended Cider yeast with sugar from the ebay supplier

Old 01-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #25
Roddy

Liked 329 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Hmm... I've used the same yeast for the last 6 doz batches (cider yeast with sweetener).. hope it's not dodgy yeast !

Condng: 4L of Mead (Sep-16)
Drinking: Various WOWS , Cherry TC,
Next up: Rhubarb TC, WGJ/Strawberry WOW

All me recipes at:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AqD9OOcGhwesm0Sn3Uv3VMozWHVS

Old 01-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #26
Vinotinto

I think after 6 DOZEN batches you may have spotted that by now . Anyhow, it ferments ok. Just wondered if it bombed completely out and left nothing to carbonate although I have the slightest hint of fizz. May leave the last lot another couple of weeks in the warm.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #27
pvt_ak

Liked 256 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 2

For the last batch I made I went back to the tried and tested 1 teaspoon of sugar straight into each bottle and it's carbed up a beaut !

Bit of a ball ache but with a funnel and good rhythm not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 21-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #28
Flixonbrews

Liked 39 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringybob View Post
Can't find the Strawberry one anywhere. Has anyone tried it with the Raspberry?
Yup, it came out at 7.5% and cabbages anyone that even takes a sniff.

Despite being heterosexual, I tried to get off with my 6 foot 4, 20 stone mate and had to be pulled off him by the belt in my jeans.

Make sure you back sweeten it with Splenda before you bottle it, otherwise it's too sour.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:12 PM   #29
Deltabrew

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinotinto View Post
+1 on this. I have only made 3 TCs . The first was fine, the next two were both left longer and was reasonably clear in dj when bottled. Both seem to have suffered the same 'mammarial' experience that you describe!

I know I mentioned it elsewhere but some of the youtube vids clearly refer to this being an issue. My second batch only went to 1.002 so at that late stage maybe a few grains of yeast with the priming may help?
Do you have any links to the particular vids? I had a look, but couldn't find any talking about this problem.

My solution has been to leave it just two weeks, fermenting had only just stopped at 998, but it was still cloudy. Batch primed with 200g sugar (dissolved in a pan of hot apple juice) in 25l and bottled. There is a lot of settlement in the bottle, but it tastes great and has fizz.

Old 14-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #30
private4587

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltabrew View Post
Do you have any links to the particular vids? I had a look, but couldn't find any talking about this problem.

My solution has been to leave it just two weeks, fermenting had only just stopped at 998, but it was still cloudy. Batch primed with 200g sugar (dissolved in a pan of hot apple juice) in 25l and bottled. There is a lot of settlement in the bottle, but it tastes great and has fizz.
My question here is that my two TC's on the go are just about finished in the fermenter. I am away on hols for two weeks and was wondering if it would be Ok to leave in the fermenter until i return, and would i still be able to batch prime then.