Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Off flavoured Grainfather brews

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #11
aamcle

Liked 92 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cleaning - PBW is hard to get and expensive, vast �£'s have been spent developing dishwasher tablets/detergent.

I'ts cheap, it's available and it WORKS.

ATB. aamcle

Old 12-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #12
foxy

Liked 97 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Before I do a brew I put in a desert spoon of sodium percarbonate (perborate) is as good into around 10 litres of water heated to 60 degrees C and reciculate for 10 minutes. If you think it could be the counterflow chiller run some through there or try a no chill and see if you get the same result.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #13
Fletch

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just had a thought that it might be my hop spider. It's very difficult to get the crud out of seam between the sides and the base. Sure enough, on close inspection there's a lot of muck in there. Even if you manage to dislodge it with a brush, it generally gets stuck elsewhere in the mesh. Think I might abandon it and just chuck the hops in, next time.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:19 PM   #14
Soton
some random guy

Liked 169 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy View Post
Before I do a brew I put in a desert spoon of sodium percarbonate (perborate) is as good into around 10 litres of water heated to 60 degrees C and reciculate for 10 minutes. If you think it could be the counterflow chiller run some through there or try a no chill and see if you get the same result.
I will stand corrected but I think that sodium percarbonate is perfume free oxy.
I have read else where that people use non perfumed oxy instead of the Grainfather cleaner, I have to say after not being able to clean some protein crud from the bottom of my Grainfather I rain oxy through it with the same cleaning cycle as Grainfather recomend and witn minimal scrubbing it came off a treat

Old 12-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #15
xozzx

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I dont understand how some grain/hop remains in the GF can cause off flavours? Surely this cannot cause any infection as the wort is boiled for at least 60 mins in the GF before being transferred to the FV.

Do you flow the boiling wort through the counterflow chiller and back into the GF for about 10 mins before turning on the cold water?

Appreciate if someone can explain the possible reason for the off flavours from remnants of previous brews. Whilst I do clean the GF thoroughly after each use I dont put as much effort in as the rest of my equipment. Ive only done 5 brews so far but not had any issues yet.
foxy Likes This 
Old 12-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #16
Soton
some random guy

Liked 169 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by xozzx View Post
I dont understand how some grain/hop remains in the GF can cause off flavours? Surely this cannot cause any infection as the wort is boiled for at least 60 mins in the GF before being transferred to the FV.

Do you flow the boiling wort through the counterflow chiller and back into the GF for about 10 mins before turning on the cold water?

Appreciate if someone can explain the possible reason for the off flavours from remnants of previous brews. Whilst I do clean the GF thoroughly after each use I dont put as much effort in as the rest of my equipment. Ive only done 5 brews so far but not had any issues yet.
Do you know what I agree with you, but at the same time if you have hidden spent grains and a off flavour wouldn't you think that this might have some sort of baring on the cause
Even if this isn't the cause of the problem you just can't ignor it!

Old 12-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #17
Fletch

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I must admit that I never worried too much about absolute cleanliness of my Grainfather because I believed that the boiling wort would kill any bugs (I do circulate the wort through the chiller to sterilise it before cooling it). However, my daughter trained as a Microbioligist and she says that some micro-organisms are not killed by the boiling process. Apparently, some spore-bearing bugs will survive boiling which may account for why I'm having this problem. I too, had no problems with the first few brews; it's only recently the off flavours have kicked in.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:45 PM   #18
foxy

Liked 97 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 53

To be honest I think it is something that is happening in the fermenter and spraying starsan into the GF is just a waste of starsan.
Yes sodium percarbonate has no smell it is a just a powerful oxy bleach, I use it for all my cleaning, it lasts for about 6 hours and is cheap to buy by the 20 or 25 kg bag sodium perborate is more stable and is the main ingredient for teeth whitening. The the sodium perc can be used for almost any cleaning job carpets, laundry, decking, concrete but really handy for home brewing.
Saisonator Likes This 
Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 PM   #19
JapanBrew

Liked 367 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 477

It's more like tannins. Just a tad will add this over steeping of tea like flavors. Same as if you used old grains. It probably is a kind of spore that's growing on the grain husk.

Old 19-08-2017, 06:30 PM   #20
Keviebaby

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Sorry this reply is a bit late, not been on the forum for a while as I haven't been brewing over the summer.

I had an issue with a couple of my Grainfather brews tasting off. Got lots of good advice here but I found the root cause of mine to be a build up of crud in the spring valve at the top of the recirc pipe.

It looked like bits of trub and hop matter had accumulated in the spring body over time and wasn't washed out by cleaning.

I'm pretty sure this was the problem as the off taste and smell in the beer smelt the same as the crap on the spring.

I gave the spring, ball bearing and the whole valve a number of cleans and a couple of boils in a pan but I ended up just taking the spring and ball out and don't use them anymore. No more off taste...well, no more of THAT particular off taste.

Hope you get it sorted, nothing worse than spending all that time brewing and not being able to drink the results.

Kev.