Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Coffee, Kombucha & Mead Forum > Yeast starter - should I add nutrient?

Old 12-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
Tribble
Buccaneer

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr259 View Post
Ah cool, I'm planning on buying a bunch of honey from Paynes soon. I want to try out their Mexican and chestnut honeys with orange blossom or clover as a more standard option. Since it's so cheap I was gonna get of their blossom honey and caramelise it for a bochet.
I nearly went for the Mexican myself, and I liked the sound of the Chestnut. The Orange Blossom though was a shade over £100, so free delivery; the price was right for what I wanted.

If this all works out and I continue, I'll try something like the Chestnut next time.

I nearly bought Buckwheat honey. Someone local was importing it from Bulgaria, and it was cheap. When I read somewhere that it smells like a farmyard when fermenting though, it put me off

Old 12-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #12
Zephyr259

Liked 50 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Yeah, I'm going to get a couple of the 3.17 kg tubs so I can try a few things for £50 - 60. Yeah I've read about the Americans using buckwheat honey and how strong it is.

The packs of yeast say they are good for 5 - 23 L so 10g in a starter with good nutrient should be fine. I'm guessing that folks pitch more since the wine yeast is so cheap compared to the honey.

Have you come across the BOMM (Bray's one month mead) on the Gotmead forums? They ferment it with Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale after testing a bunch of strains. I've got some Belgian Ardennes which I'm going to test out, it was almost as good as 1388 in the tests but it sounds like they got a dodgy pack as it didn't swell as much and then the ferment took a good while longer. I'll be making a starter so should be good and healthy.

Orange Blossom Mead, Blackcurrant Wine, Plum Melomel, Barley Wine

Conditioning
Various fruit wines and meads

Fermenting
Belgian Brunette

Planned
Witbier, Flanders Red Ale, Barleywine with CML BW yeast

Old 12-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #13
Tribble
Buccaneer

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Aye, I came across BOMM and nearly made that as my first batch as I wanted something quick. I can't remember now why I went for JAOM instead... I think I was struggling to find all the ingredients at first, so decided on JAOM is it didn't need them. Then I found them but forgot about the BOMM option

I'll certainly give it a try some time though, when I get more honey (and demijohns... I plan on scouring the car boots around here). I would like to know how yours turns out with the Belgian Ardennes.

I'm currently listening to the music of gurgling fermenters. If I leave the door to my brewing den (a.k.a the dining room) open I can hear it throughout the house. It's theraputic

Old 13-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #14
Zephyr259

Haha, that sound drives my wife nuts and attracts the attention of the tiny ones... Better now that I have a fridge to keep things in.

I'll be doing a full write-up of the BOMM when I get round to it, probably won't be for a month or 2 since we've only drank two 750 ml bottles of the 10L batch of mead I last made.

Conditioning

Fermenting
Belgian Brunette

Planned

Old 14-08-2017, 10:54 PM   #15
Tribble
Buccaneer

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll look out for your write up. It will be at least that long before I'm ready to do more anyway. The only little one I have to worry about is the cat. She's not allowed in the dining room (she does bad things in there) but I accidentally left the door open yesterday and found her asleep on top of my bucket!

My mead is really going for it tonight. There's a continual gurgling and burping as the pressure builds against the water head, then blows out all at once. Every few seconds, alternating between the batches. In between those there's the gently plip of the two demijohns of JAOM.

They had the last feed today, and a slight pH tweak with some KHCO3 as it was below 3.2 after stirring to release the CO2. Brought it up to 3.6. I didn't know if I should just leave it alone, but it's certainly bubbling more tonight so I've not hurt it.

Just waiting for the 1/3 break now, and hoping it will foam a bit less so I can actually read the SG inside the thief.

Old 15-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #16
Zephyr259

Sounds like all is well, but a cat sleeping on the fermenter is a new one....

Where did you find potassium carbonate? I searched all over and all I can find is bicarbonate which is fine but not as potent. Not really that fuzzed since it's £2.50 for 100g which will last forever.

Conditioning

Fermenting
Belgian Brunette

Planned

Old 15-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #17
Tribble
Buccaneer

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

KHCO3 is the bicarbonate (-HCO3). K2CO3 is potassium carbonate. Sorry for dropping into symbols; ex chemistry teacher and lab geek here

I found potassium carbonate, but food grade was pricey and technical grade can be full rubbish. The bicarbonate was food grade, cheap, and from a legit supplier (http://www.intralabs.co.uk).

Yeah, just use twice as much bicarb. I think it's easier to measure when dealing with small quantities like a few grams.

I've just checked my SG and it's already at 1/3. Didn't know it would be that quick!

Old 15-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #18
Zephyr259

Haha, I'll put that one down to a 4 hr nap before a chopper home after 3 weeks of nightshift. Don't worry about symbols, I've a degree in chemical engineering and spent 6 months last year doing the PGDE for Chemistry, unfortunately it didn't work out and I'm back offshore.

Ah good, I was dubious about buying chemicals online, but intralabs is the trader I found.

Folks say the sna and constant degassing really speeds up fermentation. Seems true enough.

Conditioning

Fermenting
Belgian Brunette

Planned

Old 15-08-2017, 09:05 PM   #19
Tribble
Buccaneer

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ahh... Aberdeen. I guess you're on the rigs then. I nearly went that way myself, way back, switching from geology to geochemistry. I got into teaching by accident; never was qualified in teaching but it was a private school so they followed their own rules.

I had to put a few ice packs around my brewing corner today. Temperature was creeping up to 21C. First time I've complained about it not being cold and wet here. It's hovered around 19C most of the time.

Enjoy your break and stay safe out there!