Brewed a Pilsner with a mix of Saflager W-34/70 yeast & bread yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomKzn

Reaction score
I just cooked a 21L batch of German Pilsner and when I pitched the Saflager w-34/70 yeast sachet, on the packet it read "for use 10-15 litres". I didn't have another sachet so I panicked and then pitched a bread yeast sachet into the fermentor.
It went crazy with the fermentation and my breather was bubbling like a boiling kettle (its calmed down now).

My question is: Obviously the bread yeast isn't ideal, but seeing as though the beer yeast was also added, would my Pilsner be a total cock-up now come drinking time? Would the Saflager "dominate" the bread yeast and churn out preferable esters?

I had been drinking when I made the decision to add the bread yeast and now I regret having done so... Why don't Fermentis just make a sachet for a standard 5.5gal/21L batch?????

Rule no.1. Never get tipsy and make a brew or you will end up adding bread yeast lolol.

One will dominate the other but it might be hard to tell. Saying that, bread yeast doesn't tolerate much alcohol but you might get some bready notes. Wait and see.....

I would say a wheat beer would probably be more suitable for bread yeast as bread is made from wheat. But adding it to a Pilsner is probably not a good idea.... time will tell at drinking time.

Tasted after 2 weeks bottled... I can't tell if the breast yeast had an effect because I (being ****** at time of brewing) added twice the amount of hops (60g total of Nugget 17%AA) to the wort!!! Its as bitter as all hell!
The rest of the Pilsner is beautiful, clear as crystal and thick foamy head. But now I have to pour it all down the drain... I'm never getting drunk while brewing ever again...

Back