How to fit a tap to a bottling bucket

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilDusty89

Drunken Member
Reaction score
Evening,

Long story short my previous bottling bucket has gone mouldy and is out of action, I have a spare fv that has no lid lid but does not have a tap fitted. Was planning on drilling a hole in the new bucket but was unsure what sized spade bit was required if anyone can point me in the right direction before I head over to B + Q, cheers.

Evening,

Long story short my previous bottling bucket has gone mouldy and is out of action, I have a spare fv that has no lid lid but does not have a tap fitted. Was planning on drilling a hole in the new bucket but was unsure what sized spade bit was required if anyone can point me in the right direction before I head over to B + Q, cheers.

For what they cost new, why not just buy a new FV with tap fitted? I bought this one, complete with tap and little bottler. They also do with a tap, but no bottling stick, which is about £12.

http://www.home-brew-online.com/equ...ncluding-little-bottler-lid-with-grommet-p809

FatCol

FatCol - trying to be economical really, I have a fv with no lid and a tap going spare so thought I'd keep cost to a minimum and re-use the stuff I've already got.

Using a Primary 5 gallon food grade bucket,with drilled hole for tap. Drill the hole just high enough from the base so that when you bottle it leaves the yeast on the bottom.I leave my brew for about 6 weeks in this bucket and do not use a secondary. I connect a tube to the tap cut so that a good amount goes into the bottle. Then just bottle straight from the keg,having primed into the bucket and left for several minutes. As far as cleaning the tube etc,I turn the tap upside down and pour boiling water over it. I have dipped the tube with the clip attached into boiling water then connected to the tap. I have been brewing for several years with this method and have never had a bad batch. :thumb:

PICT5690.jpg

Using a spade drill might be a little brutal on the thin plastic. I got a slightly raggy finish on the hole. Take real care is my advice. I managed to make mine work, but it was a near disaster when the spade broke through.

I was trying to do it on the cheap and almost wrecked a new £10 FV.

Anyone know of where I could buy a 15l FV with tap fitted?

Been searching for one but no luck yet :(

Gentlemen, if you're going to drill holes into a plastic bucket, tools like spade bits or hole saws are a little brutal, and will leave edges that need cleaning up. What you really want is a cone cutter:-

41NGhsDx0-L._SY300_.jpg

Hi
Having just tried doing the same, as I had a spare bucket I can safely say...... Just buy one :grin: it's not as easy as it looks.
Rob.

Latest posts

Back