Advice for American Ale Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich1985

Reaction score
Hi There,

My friend and I are relatively new to brewing and are planning our 4th 5 gallon (23 litre) batch on friday of Americal Pale Ale.

Here is our planned recipe:

250g carapmalt and 250g carared steeped for half an hour at 70-80 degrees.
3.5 kilos of light malt extract powder (ritchies is the brand) brought to the boil for 40 minutes.
50g mosaic t90 (12.5%) for last ten of boil.
50g mosaic t90 (12.5%) for last 5 of boil.
US-05 dry ale yeast one sachet
Dry hop 100g mosaic (12.5%) after one week of fermentation at the same time as the transfer to the secondary.
Bottle one week later.

How does this sound?
Trying to add in new ideas each time. Batch one was syrups and bittering hops and finishing hops. Batch two we introduced steeping. Batch three we moved to a secondary. Batch two wasn't hoppy enough (had only 100g of mosaic in total). Batch three (still conditioning in the bottles) has 160g of mosaic (40-40- dry hop 80:). So would love some advice before we move on to next batch. We've got London Beer lab down the road in case anyone has a recommendation of different hops to include.

Look forward to hearing back!

Richard

I'm only learning myself but any potential recipes get put through the brewers friend on the forum. You can select your beer style and it will tell you if it falls into the category. .colour,abv,bitterness etc

Thank you Clint. Had a look at the site and it's very helpful! I'll definitely use it in the future. Only things it's missing is being able to get advice on specific recipes (as opposed to falling in category). If we don't get any advice we'll go ahead as planned for this one and maybe change it up next time. Thanks again!

I intend to stick to style until I get consistent results,know what my equipment produces and know what effects certain products have on the brew. My latest brew,an American wheat went OK but I was around 6 points low on my og and 3-4 litres over on boil volume from having to much sparge water.

Don't think we are quite at all grain yet. We will give it a go eventually!

Even the malt extract recipes in greg hughes call for boils of 60 or 70 minutes to extract the hop bitterness required for the style....that particular addition going in at the boil start.

See the first batch we did we added hop flowers at the beginning but the guy at London beer lab recommended to steep, boil the malt and put hops in for the last ten minutes

I would keep the speciality malt steep temperature down to 70C or slightly below. You may extract tanins at higher temps. The rest looks fine to me. You'll get a good amount of bitterness from your hops, even in the last 10 minutes. You'll then need to cool as quick as you can to avoid the bitterness increasing as the hops continue to isomerise.

Hi There,
My friend and I are relatively new to brewing and are planning our 4th 5 gallon (23 litre) batch on friday of Americal Pale Ale.

Dry hop 100g mosaic (12.5%) after one week of fermentation at the same time as the transfer to the secondary.
Bottle one week later.
Richard

That's really rushing it. Leave it in primary for two weeks, add the dry hops and bottle a week later. In your situation doing a secondary is unnecessary and could cause problems.

Latest posts

Back