A brave fight but lost...advice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pazza

Reaction score
After brewing and bottling my first 2 brews my dearest but slightly OCD wife has called time and said I must relegate my 80 bottles to the garage. I've got them up on a worktop, in cardboard boxes and with a 13.5 tog duvet around them to keep them comfortable but do you think this is ok for "warm conditioning"?

After brewing and bottling my first 2 brews my dearest but slightly OCD wife has called time and said I must relegate my 80 bottles to the garage. I've got them up on a worktop, in cardboard boxes and with a 13.5 tog duvet around them to keep them comfortable but do you think this is ok for "warm conditioning"?

This time of the year should be fine.. even if its a cooler than you want it they will still carb if a little slower.

Blimey,they sound better looked after than i am:mrgreen:
As above,plenty warm enough at present anyway,so
get the damn things into the garage NOW and out of your wife's way:lol:

If you have an ambient temperature of about 20*C it should be fine. If it's only 16*C the yeast will still work but slower. If your beer is consigned to the garage for conditioning long term it might be useful to use one PET bottle so that you can test how the carbing is proceeding. And when temperatures drop below 15*C you might find the yeast stops working altogether so you struggle to carb at all.
And remember an insulating blanket only keeps the heat in (or the cold out) for so long.

Lows look about 14 degrees for the next week so hopefully the cardboard/ duvet will do the trick. I bottled the cervesa in PET bottles on Sat and they are brick hard so if I feel them going softer I might even set a fan heater up on a timer.....or cuddle them

Lows look about 14 degrees for the next week so hopefully the cardboard/ duvet will do the trick. I bottled the cervesa in PET bottles on Sat and they are brick hard so if I feel them going softer I might even set a fan heater up on a timer.....or cuddle them
Jezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:mrgreen:

Get yourself a £30 larder fridge from Gumtree and you'll be sorted for winter as well. This will probably work in your favour now you have a dedicated place to brew :)

To be fair I'm not that bothered about the cervesa though it should be good to sup at BBQ's, it's the stout I want to be a goer, tasted like foreign extra when bottling and hoping the soft dark sugar used for batch priming might add a little something too. Time will tell

Negotiate the terms of your retreat to the garage, you need things for your beer if it is to be banished in there and ensure she is fully briefed on the possible costs that the relegation will bring:)

To be fair, that's not a good look in the kitchen. :nono:

Mine carb in a corner of the upstairs landing in beer of europe cardboard boxes with a nice tartan rug over them. No problems storing them in the shed or garage later. (after the plastic carb tester bottle goes rock hard)

I carb beers (lagers excepted) at around 20-25 degrees dependant on the yeast. I find they carb in 7-10 days for me, but I like high levels of carbonation so I use more priming sugar which also reduces the time to carbonate.

As others have said if you reduce the temp you'll increase the time to carb up. :-(

Negotiate the terms of your retreat to the garage, you need things for your beer if it is to be banished in there and ensure she is fully briefed on the possible costs that the relegation will bring:)

Got to talking with swmbo and mentioned the thought of a mancave (Pazbah) dartboard, cast iron pub table and stools, big telly etc. She was not unreceptive......

Got to talking with swmbo and mentioned the thought of a mancave (Pazbah) dartboard, cast iron pub table and stools, big telly etc. She was not unreceptive......
Dribs and drabs is the way to do it.Get on her side for the kitchen and subtly add bits and pieces to the garage and by the time she realises you'll have it sorted...

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back