Help slight leak on barrel should I worry??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacedhopper

Reaction score
Hello well as the title suggests I've got a leak!! Kind of knew this would happen it's four fingered jack and batch primed with 130grms the instructions said 150!!

It's been indoors a week in the keg and I've noticed its a little wet under the tap no major drips obviously just weeping a bit! Will this ruin my beer???????

What should I do I tightened the tap a bit hope this will stop it but don't want to over tighten!

Hope someone can advise

That's a lot of sugar, normal is 3 ozs which is 80 odd g. Can't harm your beer if you've a slight drip as the beer is coming out, not going in! Both my PBs have a slight drip from their taps, especially as pressure is building up, but after a bit they tend to stop.

I have noticed that a lot of PBs tend to leak from the tap (an odd drip) as pressure builds up. In a way it shows that the cap is sealed and shouldn't be a problem.

I have one PB that "leaks" under pressure of the brew in it, mainly because I used about 250g sugar in it

Scaff

As has been said, 80g is the norm for priming sugar, I normally use a lot less, around 40g. Suggest drawing some beer off to get the pressure down a bit and the tap should stop leaking. You might want to check the tightness of the tap too, sometimes they get a bit loose as they bed in, just don't over-tighten or you may end up with a beer fountain.

You have to say what type of barrel it is? If its a KK, and in my experience these very rarely leak from the tap, there is a simple fix...not saying it will work every time for every barrel. Open the tap slightly, not even enough for the beer to come out, just try to move it a little. Pour a kettle of boiling water, slowly, over the tap and then close...finger tight only

Hi it's a barrel from homebrew online store, if that helps, tomorrow I will give it a nip up with some grips hopefully that should sort it,will do the boiling water trick too!!

Bulldog brew instructions said 150grms other reviews on here said they used 120-130grms. It's a APA which are more lager type fizz!!!

Hopefully the beer won't explode! Might do it out side just in case!!!

Latest posts

Back