(sing) i dont know what i doing...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay Ed

Reaction score
Ok,

got woodfords Nelsons revenge on the go.

Made to 36 pints using bottled spring water, smelt bangin from the off and was really excited. Now i'm less so. It went off like a rocket for the 1st 24 hrs, was a tad hot at 24 deg so got it down to 19-20 deg, and in my rush forgot to take sg reading I Let it do its thing for a couple of weeks and thought it had stuck so against my better judgement gave it a stir, any way it kicked off again and finished on 1008.

I transferred into pressure keg and used 85-90 gram of demarara sugar to try and be clever and probably a day 1 week 1 mistake.:confused:

I have sampled once a week for the last three weeks and have been less than impressed.

it has a very bitter aftertaste, i can taste the malty flavours but it seems to be gatting worse not better. The biggest thing is that it isnt clearing. After racking to Keg i put in the house for 48 hrs then in garage ever since. The carbonation seems ok but as its my 1st beer brew not too sure.

Any hints would be welcome.

Mark.

A pressure barrel will take a long time to clear. Maybe six or seven weeks. This is because any particles have to drop all the way to the bottom of the barrel (or at least below the level of the tap). In bottles they only have to drop, say, 20cm.

It doesn't sound to me like you've done anything wrong. Hope it turns out okay.

King Kegs with a top tap and float let you get clear beer from the top.

Still gotta let it condition though!

I wasn't overly impressed with Wherry until after 3 months in bottles. Maybe Woodfordes beers just take longer to condition?

Folks reallyu worried about this now.

Brew has been conditioning cold for neraly 4 weeks now, it is as cloudy today as the day i kegged it. it has now lost its carbonation too.

1 can i reinvigorate it in any way? i.e adding more suger and placing back in the warm but for a longer period.

Is it FUBAR'd?

Help...............

I make concoctions called MOLO's (mixture of left overs) and add all sorts of stuff, like extra sugar...any sugar, chopped fruit, vodka...to be honest anything that comes to me in my moments of drunken madness, some turn out great and some are rancid but in my eyes if dont try it (and importantly document it for later) you dont know what you may have created. Beer kits are cheap enough and if you cant ferment outside the box!!?## and experiment once in a while you dont know what you're missing. In my opinion i'd add the sugar and leave it for a bit and then if still no joy "beast" it with a bit of spirit and lime calypso and leave it for a bit or at least until you get the nerve or a willing guinea pig to try it.

DISCLAIMER
I have a brother in law who drinks vodka with a mouthwash mixer as my quality control department.

it has now lost its carbonation too.

Probably a seal leak from the keg - what type of keg is it? If it's a cheap Wilko-type keg, they deform as they gas up to be more egg-shaped, which tells you gas is building up. With others it's harder to tell.

Get a lid with an S30 valve and a Hambleton Bard CO2 cylinder: if you have a local home brew shop, they probably sell them and will do refills. Then gas it up with a 1-2s shot of CO2.

I normally do this straight aftre kegging the beer, as if there are any leaks you can hear the gas hissing out. The trouble with some kegs is that you only find leaks after several weeks, as you have, hence it's worth gassing them up a bit at the start to make sure (and/or fit a pressure gauge to the keg to re-assure you that it's gassing up).

What is the gravity at now? The lower the gravity the less malt flavor your going to have and looks like the others have reported issues with the bitter flavor. What was the hop schedule, any dry hop? As said sounds like you have a leak and may gave had a kink in the gasket. You may want to consider adding gelatin to clarify or do a cold crash 24-48hrs before you reprime.

OK an update.

i reprimed the beer again after 24 hrs in the warm. left it for 10 days in the warm and thenn back in the garage to condition.

The damn stuff recarbonated but it is still cloudy.

Could i put some beer finnings in now or wil it knacker it?

cheersin advance.

ClayEd.

Back