Preparing for first brew-changing volumes/weights

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbo584

Reaction score
I'll soon be doing my first brew using a fairly simple pale ale recipe from John palmer's 'how to brew'. At the moment I don't have a 5 gallon pot which seems to be the standard. If I use a smaller pot, say 2.5 gallon, do I just divide everything in the recipe by 2?? Including the amount of yeast? Appreciate any help!

Yes, basically thats about it, tho i wouldnt bother splitting a pack of yeast..
have a good brew ;)

i found brewmate the free brewing s/w fairly intuitive and a great tool for adjusting a recipe on the fly

Yes, basically thats about it, tho i wouldnt bother splitting a pack of yeast..
have a good brew ;)

I would. Over pitching has its attendant problems , such as possibly having a yeasty taste to the beer. It's always best to use the correct amount of yeast. Use a yeast calculator such as MrMalty.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Brewmate is great for adjusting receipe amount simply, quickly and easily. Especially for maths dunces like me

So after the first brew being a bit rushed and realising I wasn't going to be able to pour the cooled wort back and forth, I think the wort didn't get enough aeration. In addition to this the hydrated yeast wasn't resuspended before pouring it in meaning I don't think enough made it into the wort. After only a short period of bubbling last week, I decided to pitch more yeast (per recommendations of my brewing book) and wrap my fermenter in bubble wrap in an attempt to keep the temperature stable and possibly slightly warmer (it's just over 18c in the cupboard). Result is it's been bubbling a lot more and for a longer period. Any advice on whether it should be bottled in a weeks time given it will have had two weeks fermenting in total?

the only real test available to determine when to bottle is to take gravity readings, when its sat at a stable reading for 2-3days running its a safe bet that the primary fermentation has finished, without temp control and yo-yo-ing temperatures dipping below the level that the yeast can start to go dormant it can take as long as it takes..

Latest posts

Back