Historic use of Porter Yeast with Pale Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrown

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly, apologies for the extremely nerdy first post.

I've been researching the mash bill and fermentation at scotch distilleries during the 1950/60s and the overriding theme coming up is that fermentation in the primary vessel seems to have taken (or at least been left in the vessel) for up to two weeks!

Furthermore a couple of sources mention brewer's 'Porter Yeast' as the yeast of choice with old pale malts such as Zephyr and Maris Otter. However, as a relatively involved home brewer, I've only ever made light beers and I've never come across yeast specifically called 'porter yeasts', as far as I was aware you'd use a standard English Ale yeast for this?? Equally if such a thing did exist it seems bizarre to use it with pale malt.

Does anyone know anymore about this fabled porter yeast and what sort of fermentation/attenuation you'd get using a pale malts?

Thanks,

Jason

I've been told (on a distillery tour) that the yeast used for grains for distilling is quite different to the strains we use for beer, so that may be why?

No idea on Porter yeast I'm afraid though, I too have always used Ale yeasts for Porters.

As an aside I had read somewhere that some of the Belgian strains of yeast originated in the scottish breweries, can't remember where I read it though....

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Absolutely yeast strains used by distilleries today are different, most use the powerful Mauri distillers yeast which gives them a rapid fermentation of around 50 hours in places (!).

I'm interested in the yeasts used 1950/60s, any help or advice on further detailed reading is much appreciated.

J

I've recently bought a brand new book out on Porters and Stouts called 'Brewing Porters & Stouts' by Terry Forster. The history of Porter and Stouts is extremely well research and according to this book there's not a seperate porter yeast it's fermented using English Ale yeast just as you thought.

The only thing that you might consider a seperate yeast for porters is that original porters of the 17th d 18th centuries were stored in wooden barrels often for weeks if not months and during this time the beer would have probably come up against a wild strain of yeast called Brettanomyces during the long storage in wood. This wild stain of yeast causes a secondary fermentation and beer to taste sour. Brettanomyce was isolated in 1903. Perhaps this 'Porter yeast' you mention is a yeast strain that's used to make sour beer and the porter was a sour beer? Although noone is is sure what porters rally tasted like in the 17th ad 18th centuries and that porters tasted sour at all

oh, and baltic porter, which the author of the book considers to be a sub style of imperial stout rather than a stand alone style uses lager yeast to ferment rather than ale yeast

Great answer, thanks - hadn't considered Brettanomyces - I heard someone mention that as a strain of wild yeast, but had forgotten the name thanks.

Sounds like a book to invest in!

J

Back