Blonde ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavb0

Reaction score
Can some recomend my a hoppy blonde ale kit ? I like Joules Blonde and Robinsons Dizzy blonde and am after somthing tasting similar
Further research tells I think it's the Amarillo Hop taste and smell that's doing it for me. I would be happy having a go at dry hopping a kit the get the results I am after, but wouldn't have a clue which kit to start with and how much hops to use
Advice please Guys

I looked up both beers, and knowing how simple a blonde generally is you could create an extract recipe yourself. Do you have a place where you can get ingredients including the hops? One thing not mentioned was yeast profile. Do you believe them to be using an American strain or a British strain? A Belgian strain maybe?

I'd be willing to help you create a recipe if you are inclined.

I like the Coopers kits for a one can kit, and as ever, 500g DME does give them a lift in addition to the suggested sugar. 25g to 30g of hop pellets added straight in the FV on day 3 (or in a muslin bag if have one) might be good to start with.

After your first attempt, no doubt you will some ideas on how you want to vary this basic sort of approach.

If you like hoppy beer, adding hops and drinking fairly young is the way to go for a kit brewer.

I have done teh Coopers Canadian Blonde. I added 1kg Extra light DME and 250 Dex. Its nice refreshing and clean (although does have a bit of a sweetness to it (maybe too much DME??) .. However I do feel it could do with hops..

I'd probably boil some hops with the DME next time maybe add a touch of bitterness in too.

Fermentation went fine, in fact it was probably just the kit because I think many have said the Coopers Canadian Blonde has a sweetness too it.

Its a nice pint though (great for summer) but as I say I would add some hops and bitterness to it next time.

The best results I've had for blondes are from dry hopping a basic kit such as Wilko's Golden Ale or I'd highly recommend the Festival kits which come with hops and a bag (just be wary about how long you leave the hops in with these though, the instructions say add at day 5 of a 10 day ferment but it often takes 15 days to ferment out fully so the hops can be a little overpowering if they're in for 10 days).

My golden ale (base kit, Wilko with golden syrup and honey) is ok but is taking ages to clear in the bottle!

It is a little too sweet for me but I dry hopped with a whole pack of chinook so I can taste a bit of the aroma coming through. Might have to chalk this one up to experience.:doh:

Further research tells I think it's the Amarillo Hop taste and smell that's doing it for me.

I'm with you on that I like a few blonde ales and they always have Amarillo in them. Alas there are few and far between kits with Amarillo right now but there is one I've found, though yet to try;

Bulldog Bad Cat Imperial Red

Back