Advice on a possible new boiler.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No expert but I think you would have to modify it to get a rolling boil and one more thing to consider, how much wort are you hoping to make in batches??

I'd aim for around 5 gallon batches. I'm currently using a 33l pot on the stove (2 partials and 1 full grain so far), but it's hard work and not very efficient. I need all four rings on and the cooker guide says it's a real no-no.
I've read the thread on the ACE boiler which is currently around £130. If that's a much better option, I'll just wait.

It looked to me like a false bottom or good filter would be all that's required but I'm really low on the knowledge side as far as this is concerned.

The problem is, the hobby money is spreading real thin. I'm currently beginning in butchery, charcuterie, cheesemaking and going up to AG brewing on top of expanding my gardening.

ACE are now £130?? that's hiked up a bit!! when I got mine it was £90, by the time I sent it back they were up to £100.

I think 25lt is pushing it a bit .. probably do able but it will be a bit of a faff I reckon but do able

maybe consider a gas burner and a propane tank?? you already have the 33l pot

Right ho.

The problem with propane is I don't have a garden. I'm pretty certain what herself would say about using it indoors :nono:

Thanks for the input Covrich.

fair enough I understand, I did put my burner technically indoors once but it was right inside the double conservatory doors wide open..

If it was me, I would wait and get the right investment rather than spend £50 on an investment you may feel a bit frustrated by

Why not look at the peco boiler??

You won't be able to do a 5 gallon batch in that boiler. It looks like a tea urn. I have a old tea urn and it gets to a rolling boil. I use the peco boiler from HBC and that works fine

for an extra 25 quid using the forum discount you could get the hbc starter kit, that would include the boiler, brew bag and a wort chiller and an all grain 40 pint kit inc delivery

ive found the pico boiler to work fine... not the fastest at reaching its boil but it works well, and if your indoors it should boil alot quicker

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...iler-chiller-mashing-bag-mash-kit-p-2507.html

Thats a good price, but as other have stated, you'll not get a 5 gallon brew, maybe 4 at the most.
The boiler may need a small alteration to get it to do a rolling boil, but this generally takes no more than 5 minutes and 3 screws.

It's very similar to the ACE.

Wraeccan - if you already have a 33L s/s boiler to use on the hob, why not add an element to that? Different skills needed compared to modding a commercial boiler, but no more hassle than doing that would be, and certainly a lot cheaper.
Cheers,
Chris

Hi!
The internal dimensions shown on the website give a capacity of only 22.3 litres, so you definitely won't get a full 5 gallon boil in it. Save up for the ACE double-wall boiler and use it as a mash tun as well (�£125 on eBay).

Wraeccan - if you already have a 33L s/s boiler to use on the hob, why not add an element to that? Different skills needed compared to modding a commercial boiler, but no more hassle than doing that would be, and certainly a lot cheaper.
Cheers,
Chris

That's an interesting option airymary.
I live less than a mile away from MaltMiller and noticed that they do a cutting service. I may well look into that!

Also, as Wilfy says, this could be great for sparge water. :hmm:

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back