Pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tezza

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this so please bare with me.

I think that I have made a bit of a boo boo, I have transferred my beer into a pressure barrel but have fitted the wrong cap. The type that is a pressure relief only cap.

I have in my kit a cap for the co2 cannister which I should have used.

My question is, when the natural pressure depletes can I switch to this cap, or will this ruin the beer due to air contamination?

Much obliged for your answers.

Hi all, I am new to this so please bare with me.

I think that I have made a bit of a boo boo, I have transferred my beer into a pressure barrel but have fitted the wrong cap. The type that is a pressure relief only cap.

I have in my kit a cap for the co2 cannister which I should have used.

My question is, when the natural pressure depletes can I switch to this cap, or will this ruin the beer due to air contamination?

Much obliged for your answers.

When did you fill the keg, if today you could do the switch now.

If not I would do as you suggest, once you have tapped the keg and drunk a bit and need to top up with CO2 switch the lids, if the remaining beer seems a bit flat you may need to re-prime with a half measure (40-50g ish) of priming sugar and move warmer for a week at that point to re-carb the half drunk barrel with the new lid fitted in place.

How long has it been in there with the standard cap?

I think it should be fine, once the head of CO2 has gone and you're not able to pour a pint without it glugging, whip the cap off, and put the CO2 cap on (sanitised) then hit it with a shot of gas.

All is definitely not lost.

On my keg I only use about three CO2 cartridges for a whole keg full so it may be many days before you need to switch caps.

You will know when it's time to switch because the beer will come out a lot slower and pretty flat before reducing to a dribble.

At this stage, change the cap and then inject at least one CO2 cartridge immediately.

if the lid has not contained 8-12psi then you will probably find that the beer is flat. If thats the case then all you need do is drop in another priming charge of 80-160g of sugar to recondition the beer under the correct sealing and pressure retaining cap.

you wont do any harm to the beer by swapping the caps over as the beer will be covered by a blanket of co2 (whats left from the original priming charge that wasnt contained) just be quick and dont faf about and dont slosh the beer about or move the keg with the top off, not that you would..

the only downside is your going to have to wait a few more weeks before sampling the brew now, you have gone back to day 1 of it in the PB effectively.

Just take solice in knowing you wont make the same err again :)

Back