Washing yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigelnorris

Beavis at Bat
Reaction score
Completely confused.

Moved a fully fermented brew into a secondary yesterday to stick in the garage for a few of days chill prior to bottling.

Idly surfing about I saw a video about washing the gunk in the bottom of the primary bucket and saving myself four quid on the cost of yeast for today's new brew session.

Boiled a couple of kettles, cooled the water, then slung that onto the gunk in the FV and swirled it about.

Gave it half an hour to settle than poured off about 2L into a pair of 1L jars. At that point it looked something like jars of pond silt.

It took too long to cool the water so by this time it was bed time. When I got up this am I have two jars that have separated out into about 3/8" of pale looking silt underneath crystal clear thin beer. Plus another 1 /1/2L of assorted slime still in the FV.

The video showed a bunch of stuff about pouring it from jar to jar to get rid of the gunk at the bottom but then at the end it said that it's the gunk at the bottom that is yeast, which was really confusing, and anyway I didn't get time to do any of that, just these two jars. Is any of it usable? If so do I throw away the beer and pitch the silt or the other way around?

Frankly this looks like way too much trouble to save four quid, life's too short, but I've come this far so I might as well experiment the once.

Your not really supposed to rinse yeast with water despite the number of youtube vids there are on it. When you've harvested your trub either just chuck some into your next brew or make a starter with it. Thats it. The only point of rinsing yeast I can see is so you can get a bit better idea of how many cells you;ve got.

Just pour the water off the top of the jar and pitch everything underneath

Give them a shake and start again. You have to keep your eye on it, to get to this stage. You want to keep the cloudy liquid on the top and disgard the trub on the bottom

059.jpg

A good number of members (myself included) use the yeast leftover in the trub for the next brew however this has limitations, there is no need to wash the yeast
1.it takes the yeast out of its natural environment
2.its a faff.

Method:-
1.Sterilise a couple of large jam jars or similar.
2.Get the brew off the trub.
3.Give the trub a swirl and leave for a while 20-30mins
4.Fill your jars and place in the fridge until you are ready to use.
Simples.....
I usually make a starter a day or so before I brew.
Right the limitations, people advise that you can only do this for 6 generations (yeast starts to mutate).
Just recently I have started top cropping with this there is no limitations as you are harvesting the freshest most viable yeast it's also what the big brewers do.
This thread tells alittle about the method "WYeast Activator 1469-PC West Yorkshire Ale Yeast".

I don't bother washing yeast. I just leave a little beer in the fermenter swirl it around then pour into sanitized jars and leave it. The beer helps store it. When I want to use it I just use several tablespoons of the yeast slurry in a starter. Easy and effective.

I don't bother washing yeast. I just leave a little beer in the fermenter swirl it around then pour into sanitized jars and leave it. The beer helps store it. When I want to use it I just use several tablespoons of the yeast slurry in a starter. Easy and effective.

When you says "several tablespoons into a starter" about how many? And you do mean table spoons and not dessert spoons?

As others have said, don't bother trying to rinse the yeast, it's not necessary. It's better just to collect the trub and refrigerate until you need it.

When you says "several tablespoons into a starter" about how many? And you do mean table spoons and not dessert spoons?

I don't do any exact measurements just usually about 5 or 6 spoonfuls. I probably get about 4 starters out of a jar. If the yeast has been hanging around in the fridge for a while I'll maybe use a bit more.

Latest posts

Back