Splitting a starter. In a hurry.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogermort

Regular.
Reaction score
Last Monday I made up a two litre starter from a (just) in date Pure Pitch pack of WLP005 British Ale Yeast. The intention was to brew tomorrow or Sunday.
This morning SWMBO said she thought I ought to brew Saturday and Sunday as we're coming up to Christmas and she's taken a shining to one of my brews.
So, I want to brew two different batches (23L) with a single two litre starter.
Is it worth trying to step it up over night or should I just split the two litre starter between the two sessions?

It's pretty much guess work but, assuming you don't use a stir plate, I'd make another 2l starter tonight and split. It'll only take 18-24 hours to hit high krausen so you'll be able to chuck half of it in to one batch and leave the remaining half for the next day.

I would decant the original chilled starter and add the yeast to another 2L starter and stick that on the stir plate till tomorrow then split it between the brews. That should give you a high enough cell count.

I would decant the original chilled starter and add the yeast to another 2L starter and stick that on the stir plate till tomorrow then split it between the brews. That should give you a high enough cell count.

Do that this evening and then use half of it straight from the stirplate to pitch late tomorrow afternoon? Pitching the balance into Sunday's brew?

Back