2nd generation yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmarc

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm just preparing for a brew day I'm going to do a Mild of about 4% ABV without going to the brew shop I have a choice of yeast.
Danstar Nottingham, So4, & I have a third choice the white labs wlp 001 California ale yeast currently sitting under my Porter in the primary, which might be better?
What's the best way of using this yeast?
I thought of perhaps racking the Porter into secondary just as the Mild is chilled & ready for the FV. Thus leaving the yeast available.
Would you drop straight onto the yeast pancake or collect some yeast slurrey for a clean FV?

I've used yeast slurry successful in the past, both fresh and stored in a bottle in the fridge.

Pitching onto the yeast cake is generally over pitching - which shouldn't make a huge difference to us home brewers.

I always get a second brew from a packet of yeast. Harvest a few spoonfulls of trub from the first brew and use it in the second. You get a really vigorous fermentation with trub yeast.

I would harvest the yeast but store it and use it for a style that would suit it. For a mild, I would go with the S04, maybe the Nottingham but I don't think that Nottingham or the WLP001 would bring much to the beer as they are so neutral.

With a mild you have to get the most out of your ingredients, including the yeast to get some decent flavour. With a relatively low malt bill and low levels of hops you need to get some flavour from the yeast.

Yup S-04 has a more suitable character for a mild. I would harvest some of the yeast cake and put it in sterilised jar in the fridge, then use some of it to make a starter when needs be.

Back