Cold CRASHED

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissBrew

Reaction score
So I made an English Bitter Kit a while back and it went sour. I bottled and thought I just forget about it for a while as it tasted awful but I'm determined to drink everything I brew..

I put it in the basement in our wooden old farmhouse. Last night we had -18C and tonight I thought something smells a bit beery. Turns out the bottles froze and exploded. (Un)fortunately only 4.

20170107_195316.jpg

I had to double check your location .. -18C in the home all be it a cellar brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I remember a forum question a while back where a chap was concerned with his brew stashed in a garage over winter in scotland.. the general response being (from myself as well) "Dont worry" the alcohol is a natural antifreeze after all .. Ha

i guess now we know the lower limit :)

At least with a frozen pint the clear up isnt too wet..

I had to double check your location .. -18C in the home all be it a cellar brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I remember a forum question a while back where a chap was concerned with his brew stashed in a garage over winter in scotland.. the general response being (from myself as well) "Dont worry" the alcohol is a natural antifreeze after all .. Ha

i guess now we know the lower limit :)

At least with a frozen pint the clear up isnt too wet..
I think that was my thread. We'd had a run of 3 nights in mid november where temps dropped to -5C. I think we've only had about 2 days since where the night temp has been below zero, but I had been worried about a harsh winter!

well the beers in my garage survived the winter that fractured the outside bog (that was fun..)
he says just remembering to go and bog brush all the water round the u-bend pronto...

-18 tho brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Yeah cooling wort is a treat. Just pop the bucket out in the snow :lol: and the other plus side, it was only a kit which had gone sour anyway. My first AG however won't be stored out there! Live and learn..

It has been said in Scotland that if the "Buckie" freezes, it's a tad better (ie stronger) once the ice has been hooked out of it. :whistle:

So I made an English Bitter Kit a while back and it went sour. I bottled and thought I just forget about it for a while as it tasted awful but I'm determined to drink everything I brew..

I put it in the basement in our wooden old farmhouse. Last night we had -18C and tonight I thought something smells a bit beery. Turns out the bottles froze and exploded. (Un)fortunately only 4.

lagering going to be no problem either

Goin to need a heat sourse for that. Unheard of :grin::lol:

Back