Carbonating a keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatlover

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Quick question, I bought a wilko IPA kits months ago and found it whilst cleaning out some old rubbish. Thought it would be rude to ignore it so sacked off the cleaning and got straight down to brewing my forgotten about bonus kit. ( Not expecting much from it but hey).

Anyway, whilst perusing the instructions I noticed on the back some extra instructions which said if using akeg then you don't need to prime with sugarr, merely carbonate from a canister.

So my question is..... Is this a recommended method and if so would it be done straight away or should i leave it to condition for a few weeks then add co2 when I'm ready to drink it??

Thanks in advance

Dan

Hi guys,

Quick question, I bought a wilko IPA kits months ago and found it whilst cleaning out some old rubbish. Thought it would be rude to ignore it so sacked off the cleaning and got straight down to brewing my forgotten about bonus kit. ( Not expecting much from it but hey).

Anyway, whilst perusing the instructions I noticed on the back some extra instructions which said if using akeg then you don't need to prime with sugarr, merely carbonate from a canister.

So my question is..... Is this a recommended method and if so would it be done straight away or should i leave it to condition for a few weeks then add co2 when I'm ready to drink it??

Thanks in advance

Dan
Sounds like a load of old whatsit to me.
Ferment out as usual (lets say two weeks in the FV) and transfer over to your PB. I usually add 90g of table sugar to prime and leave in a warm place for 1 to 2 weeks to carbonate, then off to a cold place for minimum of two weeks to condition before I see how its maturing. But don't forget to draw a small sample after two or three days into carbonation and again after a week to check that pressure is starting to build i.e. you have no leaks from the cap. If you have a leak its early enough to do something about it without getting weeks down the line before you find out.

You can force carbonate beer in a keg... just add lots of CO2 (google force carbonation, there are charts and everything). If you don't have a decent sized CO2 cylinder then this isn't an option.

The options are to turn it up to the required PSI and leave for a week or so... or some derivation of the 'Crank and Shake' method to carbonate in a hurry (within hours, some say sooner but not having done it I couldn't comment).

Latest posts

Back