Best. Band. Ever.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like a bit of stoner rock (Fu Manchu, Nebula and Kyuss mainly but I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the genre) but I couldn't get into BB. They just lacked a bit of "oomph" for me, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what was missing. I might give them another go at some point though.

I got into them soon after I got into the Melvins as they were in that band from 2006-2011, and I think that's the best period for the Melvins. But BB are an acquired taste, it took me some time to get into them. Songs I'd recommend are the drift, grounds for divorce, focus pocus, chump chance if you do give them another chance.

Difficult to narrow it down to one, but probably my favourite album of all time is Mush by Leatherface. Blinding from start to end.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deUYdveJziI[/ame]

I know I've mentioned Thunder before and this is the reason why.Check it out as this is worth watching a Band play stripped down......
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq_YTOiwCsw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq_YTOiwCsw[/ame]

Just checked for tickets and they're touring UK in March.Tried to book Belfast but sold out but got two for Vicar Street,Dublin.So this will be a first for me and SWMBO as I've tried to get before but missed out.Whoopee:whistle::whistle:

So many. So so many. From T Rex of my youth right through to some of the more modern stuff.
Motor head, Rammstein, loads of punk stuff which I thought was amazing at the time.
But the one band I go back to time and time again is Hawkwind. I was just the right age.
This is amazingly good.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MPISXvQwm_E[/ame]

Wysh - browsing thru my vast music collection the other day, I landed on the early 80's Hawkwind albums Choose Your Masques and Sonic Attack, and they haven't been off since. Amaaaazing records. I was obsessed with them back in the day, to the point of spending an eternity trying to decode the jumbled jargon of spoken letters embedded in the music on Psychosonia. If you didn't know, it says "they are trying to rob us of our right to communicate"!

Wysh - browsing thru my vast music collection the other day, I landed on the early 80's Hawkwind albums Choose Your Masques and Sonic Attack, and they haven't been off since. Amaaaazing records. I was obsessed with them back in the day, to the point of spending an eternity trying to decode the jumbled jargon of spoken letters embedded in the music on Psychosonia. If you didn't know, it says "they are trying to rob us of our right to communicate"!

The Morse code on the beginning of 'Spirit of the Age' is interpreted by some as SOS but others say it was just Simon House playing around with his keyboards.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSR5TnNGKmo[/ame]

I am a clone, I am not alone
Every fiber of my flesh and bone is identical to
The others
Everything I say is in the same tone as my test
Tube brother's voice
And there's no choice between us, if you had ever
Seen us you'd rejoice in your uniqueness
And consider every weakness something special of
Your own
Being a clone I have no flaws to identify
Even this doggerel that pours from my pen
Has just been written by another twenty
Telepathic men
Word for word it says
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a
Battery hen"

Read more: Hawkwind - Spirit Of The Age Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Agree with Zep, Metallica (ride lightning and muster of puppets) and comments, Floyd I love from day 1. Sabbath just good and great considering. A few obscure bands in europe I loved albumns of, celtic frosts first lp designed by h.r.giger alien fame, lived in same village as them. A Swedish band candlesmass really liked their first albumn.

And finally love Hawkwind, they influenced so much and messed up so many....lol:lol:

Floyd for me, i love lots and lots of music and have quite a varied taste but i always return to pink floyd, puts me in a different place to other music!!

Metallica, phil collins, kasabian, the boss, orbital are popular with me

Ben harper one albumn was good, good singing on pink floyds 'have a cigar'. He needs to be locked up though, read press recently.
Not sure what you mean here, have I missed something? He's always been pretty political and left wing, and the only stuff I've seen over the last year or so relates to the Black Lives Matter movement and some anti-Trump stuff, none of what I've read has been OTT - his last album was pretty much completely about BLM anyway.

Not sure what you mean here, have I missed something? He's always been pretty political and left wing, and the only stuff I've seen over the last year or so relates to the Black Lives Matter movement and some anti-Trump stuff, none of what I've read has been OTT - his last album was pretty much completely about BLM anyway.

Was thinking Roy harper :doh:

I couldn't pick one but any of the following would be amongst my top picks now- Alter Bridge, Shinedown, Volbeat (excellent and eclectic mix of rockabilly / metal / groove / rock). In years gone by Metallica from Ride The Lightning to Black album. Thunder takes me back; I first bought Laughing on Judgement Day in comprehensive school. And a massively honourable mention to Black Stone Cherry; an excellent southern rock band from Kentucky who I have seen everywhere from the Fleece and Firkin in Bristol to sold out arena headline tours. I've seen them 17 times. So far.

As someone said, it depends when you grew up. For me Pink Floyd, Dire Straights in the day :oops:, Madness, Stranglers, Guns n Roses and many others. Best concert I ever went to (although I admit I didnt go to many) was Genesis. I only went because a mate was a big fan and asked if I wanted to go with him. The support acts were Saw Doctors and Lisa Stansfield. A few people near us had only gone to see Lisa Stansfield but were totally blown away by Genesis performance and working the crowd; I was as well.

In the 90s I got into raves and all the stuff that went with it. Dance is sill my favourite.

My mate was in them.

RIP Dickie.

RIP indeed, he went far too young. Amazing guitarist, Leatherface was never as good in the periods he wasn't in the band. I only met him a couple of times but he seemed like a good lad. Definitely a cautionary case for drinking in moderation though.

Latest posts

Back