Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico1973

Reaction score
Hi all so my brew is in my bottles after 9 days in the fv, one carbon drop in each bottle as there only 500ml this was recommended on a note in the kit.
Question 1. Do I need to keep giving them a little shake.
2. Will they clear up if not any idea why.
Thanks

No need to shake them, just leave them somewhere warm for 2 weeks to carbonate (same temp that your kit instruction recommended for fermenting).

Then after that move them somewhere cool for 2 weeks to condition

:thumb:

Edit: I see Markmayf beat me to it. But, exactly as he said :lol:

I'm guessing you are new to this homebrew lark. When you pour your beer there will be some sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Best to leave a little bit of beer in the bottle so you dont tip the sediment into your glass.

You might find in a couple of weeks time that the beer is a bit undercarbonated, carbonation drops aren't a recommended addition, if you want to bottle prime then ordinary table sugar does the job and is a lot cheaper and also more consistent. A 5g sugar addition will see you prime 200 bottles per kilo of sugar at 50p per kilo, carbonation drops doing the same number of bottles would cost you nearly a tenner.

You might also find a bit more sediment in your beer with only 9 days in the FV, extend the fermentation time to two weeks for your next brew, this will give more time for particles to drop out.

I'm not as down on carbonation drops as others at least from the perspective of their effectiveness, I've used them with success in the past. My bigger concern, and why I stopped using them, is contamination. Once you open a bag of sugar if you don't use them all it risks being a haven for nasties that you don't want in beer. If you do have an open bag I recommend a Tupperware in the freezer for storing them.

I don't want to start controversy or appear rude here but when using carbonation drops I do give the bottles a couple of shakes a few times whilst at room temp. The reason for this is that I find carbonation drops don't dissolve well and tend to leave a sugary sludge at the bottom which takes time for the yeast to chew on. The carbonation drops are also a little low in sugar for adequate carbonation (to my level anyway). So I would recommend that you shake them a few times whilst out of the fridge.

Then stick them in the fridge without touching them for a couple of weeks and the sediment will drop out and you will get a clear beer at this stage.

If you are new to brewing then I recommend a teaspoon of sugar per bottle to carbonate rather than use the drops. This will give a high carbonation levels. If you are an ale/porter drinker and like a lighter carbonation then drop it to 4g of sugar per bottle.

This is what I do and it gives me nice results but everyone is different and you will find out what best suits you.

Latest posts

Back